Guy's

Glasgow, Scotland

Guy's Glasgow Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Guy's Feb 28, 2014
Guys is a restaurant in Candleriggs, on the edge of Glasgow’s City Centre. The website talks a lot about the “contemporary European” food - a restaurant phrase that tends to just mean “whatever we felt like cooking, and then we made it look pretty,” although it is done very well here – but the general atmosphere is a lot more American, with live piano and a bar to sit at whilst you’re waiting for your table.

The first thing to say is that I was genuinely impressed with the service. I know it’s all about the food in a restaurant, but actually, it’s often the service that sticks in your head, and this lot were ace. I was with a large group, and a totally different number of people than the table must have been booked for, and the staff did not miss a beat. The food was great too; I had two courses and wine, and everything was perfect. The menu is quite broad, with all sorts of traditional Scottish dishes mixed up with vaguely Asian inspired food, but there is a focus on really good quality produce. This is quite a good place to experience the re-birth of careful British cooking, with its emphasis on strange bits of the animal (my black pudding and poached egg starter was delicious) and good quality fish.

The atmosphere is very relaxed, and I liked the live piano music when we came in and the bar you could sit at. The décor is nice. It’s not a huge restaurant – big enough for a buzz, but small enough to feel cozy. It isn’t cheap – two glasses of wine came to £11 and my two courses and share of a bottle of white came to £40, which I’d say is top end of middle priced for the UK and more than I would normally pay. But the food was excellent quality and the wine was lovely, and the staff were just terrific. So if you’re planning on having one very good quality meal whilst you’re in Glasgow, this would be a very good place to come.
Ils1976 says: