Guy Fawkes

Lewes, England

Guy Fawkes Lewes Reviews

funinuk funinuk
Nov 05, 2006

Dave and his friends had been telling me about the Bonfire Night in Lewes all year so we decided to go. Phil caught a ride there and we were to meet Kerry, Ben, Sarah and Mike in Lewes.

About a 2 hour drive right around the outside of London and then south.

Waited in a big queue of cars to get into Lewes but was'nt as bad as previous years i was told!

Found a cul de sac on the main road into town and parked there.

Walked down the street and it was still early so went to a pub and had 3 pints and played on the ITBOX (Pepsi music quiz)

Walked around and tried to get a good position to watch the parade from. Ended up standing outside the bank on the main street near a pub. I managed to get up on a windowsill sna had my feet on a tiny step supported by Dave - uncomfortabel but I could see! By now the footpath was 5 to 6 rows deep!

Tha parade started with all the different bonfire societies marching through with burning barrels and stakes, chanting and singing. There was also the usual brass band and bagpipes. The different groups were all dressed up differently as Greeks, Romans, Eyjptions, American Indians and other random chartactors like Elvis.

Some of them dragged huge figures on trollies (I assume to burn) up the street, one was of Steve Irwin and on his back was a tribute to his life. There was also George Bush and other well known figures.

After the parade the 3 of us (we never ended up meeting our mates) and the other 1000s of festival goers went to one of the bonfires (each of the societies have a seperate fire and fireworks and try to out do each other)

It was on a huge field behind Tescos and there was the biggeset bonfire I had ever seen in the middle. We stood about 200 metres away from it and still felt the heat on our faces (but it was about 5oC!)

The fireworks for this fire started about 11.00 (there was fireworks from other fires going all the time) and they were absolutely amazing!! We stood right under them and they felt so close and were so big, beautiful and loud, sometimes there were so many of them going the whole sky lit up as if it was daytime!!

All wrapped up around midnight although there were still fireworks and fires going in the distance and still loads of people around.

Surprisingly fast trip home and arrived back about 1.30am

The Lewes Bonfire Councils Homepage

Route map
Massive bonfire
travelman727 says:
It's a small world after all! I have a photo from a previous Guy Fawke's Day in Lewes posted in my Mark's Miscellaneous Madcap Maneuvers travel blog (12th row down, 4th picture). You described the wild, wacky night beautifully :-D
Posted on: Jun 21, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Day!!!!
Basically, one of the coolest holidays EVER!!! A long long loooooooooooooooooong time ago, a group of pissed off british guys were angry at the King for continuing to persecute the Catholics. The sol…Guy Fawkes (among many other things such as GWB and Winnie the Pooh) It's a bonfire spectacular!!!! followed by the BEST fireworks show I have ever seen…

Check Lewes Hotel Deals