Rue Sala 17, Lyon, France
Gustave - My main dish - a great salad which almost completely filled me
Gustave - Standing on the sink to get a picture of the toilet.
Gustave - Looking down at the seats downstairs
Gustave - Welcome to the smallest and coldest toilet in Lyon
Gustave - Our wine and their last bottle of it
Gustave - Maxime capturing himself
Gustave - Our little corner

Gustave Lyon Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Gustave - a funny experience Dec 05, 2009
My friend and I were out walking waiting to meet Travbuddy Bernard for lunch at a restaurant in the city centre when we passed Gustave. What immediately attracted us was a sign in the window stating that if four girls had dinner together they would receive a free bottle of wine.

The place was a typical student café during the day and restaurant in the evening. The interior was very simple and it was very small and cozy. We decided that we would try it in the evening; we needed a calm place for the night after our heavy dinner at Paul Bocuse’s L'Auberge du Pont de Collonges the day before and an upcoming visit to Coté Bellecour et Coté cuisine with Bernard and his wife.

When we arrived in the evening we were some of the first customers they had. Most of the tables were reserved so we were offered a seat upstairs and here started my experience in studentland. We had to climb up to a small loft covering 50 percent of the total area of the restaurant on a small and narrow ladder, which looked like it would part at any time.

Upstairs we were not able to stand up straight because there was less than 1.80 meter to the ceiling. We were offered a table in the corner. The tables were made of pine wood and the seats were benches which you would find in a hobby garden. When all this is said I really liked it; it was an experience.

The waitress was extremely sweet; she was a student from the Lyon; French but with an English mom, so her English was impeccable which I appreciated. Maxime found it a bit boring because she liked to speak English and not French. She told us that she was always worried, when she walked up the ladder and I understood her completely.

We ordered a good wine; which turned out to be the last bottle and some salads. The food was good and the waitress was sweet so we had a really good time.

At one point I had to go to the toilet and here started another point of my adventure. First I naturally had to pass the scary ladder and then a long journey started to reach the smallest toilet I have seen since when I was a student visiting one of my friends living in a garage in a backyard during his study. I remembered that he had to break the ice in the winter:)

I had to pass several doors and take turns to left and right and I started to think about the tales of the Grimm Brothers. When I finally found it; it was not heated and it was in the backyard behind the house and the temperature in there were around zero. Inside you could hardly turn, but they had tried to do the best of it with small decorations. I could not stop laughing and I asked Maxime to bring the camera if he had to go after coming back.

The restaurant was quickly filled with young people and the ambiance was quite good. It was a great experience after a couple of Paul Bocuse’s.
Looking down at the seats downstai…
We were sitting under the ceiling
Our little corner
My main dish - a great salad which…

Check Lyon Hotel Deals