Gurney Drive

Persiaran Gurney, Penang, Malaysia

Gurney Drive Penang Reviews

retrozz retrozz
Best things to do in Penang is EAT! Jan 15, 2009
Penang being a predominantly Chinese populated island has a very Chinese flavour around the city. I was not very surprised to hear the Indians and Malays there speak Chinese and dialects. Wow, i think they speak the dialects better than me!

We stayed at G Hotel along Gurney Drive. Quite a cool place as it is next to the Gurney Plaza. The Mall is very adequate! We spent a day there and couldn't reach the 5th floor! There is a night food market right at the night which has the local dishes like Assam Laksa, Fried Kuay Tiao and dessert Chendol.

What we found out next day was there are plenty of good-tasting hawker centres along Gurney Drive from Hotel G to Georgetown! There are Bak Ku Teh (Pork ribs in soup) and Fried Noodles and yes, the traditional Chinese breakfast Kaya Toast Set and White Coffee! Prices are affordable. Of course best you speak Chinese or dialect. =)

We walked to Georgetown from Hotel G and that took us ONE hour walk. Not to be attempted again unless u love the hot sunshine. The town is quite reminscent of the old days in singapore. Shophouses and Shopping Malls. Nothing new from what i can find in Singapore, other than that little blue Mansion. =p

We were told to avoid Batu Fringgi as the beaches is quite littered since the tsunami. Even the night life or pasar malam is rather rundown. So we gave it a miss.

Penang hill is a place for romantic scenery best attempted in the morning. Very cooling and best taken with the tram.

Conclusion is spend your time checking out the Penang Hill and makan (Malay for eat) along the Gurney Drive eateries. Pop by Jalan Burma and pick up some local produce such as the biscuits, nutmeg, Bak Ku Teh spices pack.

Related Travel Blogs About Gurney Drive

Penang
I am living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. But originated from Malacca (an hour away from KL) and my hubby is from Penang (5 hours away from KL). So it is common for us to travel to other states, visitin…Gurney Drive, Penang. For those of you visiting Penang, this is a must not miss!!!! Nutty chocolate crepe. …
Georgetown Heritage Walk/Gurney Road
After sleeping for more than 8 hours, I think we were charged enough to explore the old British colonial city of Georgetown. But before going for our day's planned activities, we ate first at the haw…Drive. We took Bus 101 from Komtar and we reach Gurney Plaza after 30 minutes of bus ride and few minutes walk. I expected to try Penang

Check Penang Hotel Deals