Gullfoss, Iceland

Gullfoss Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Golden Fall Jan 03, 2010
Gullfoss is one of the most powerful falls in Europe (yes, it is in Europe - the rift valley is to the west of the falls!), and it is very beautiful. Gullfoss was translated for me as the Golden Falls.

Whne we were there it's flow was much reduced because so much of the fall was frozen. We approached from the bottom. It is hard to see all of the falls at once, as the chasm sort of kinks round. From the top car park, it looks a little like a normal set of rapids until you get closer.

The falls were almost developed for hydroelectricity, and there was a lucky escape when the developer went bust in the early twentieth century and the falls fell back into the hands of the people.

The falls are lovely, majestic and impressive. I would be willing to bet you get great rainbows here in summer, although when I was there it was midwinter and the sun never came high enough to light the water up.

There is a nice cafe with a good shop, which serves traditional Icelandic meat soup. If you come in Winter, you will be very grateful indeed for soup and a hot drink!
The falls
In the area
Vikram says:
Shame I'm veg (and can't taste the meat soup).
Posted on: Jun 12, 2012
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Golden Falls Jun 28, 2008
Last stop on the Magic Roundabout, sorry Golden Circle Tour and was a wee bit more difficult to navigate from Geysir. Not helped by meeting a cycle race in the middle of nowhwere on a narrow road, as I was really just starting to be getting used to driving on the 'other' side of the road.

There is a car park at the top, next to a souvenir shop and a cafe, which was practically empty by the late afternoon when we arrived.

The first thing that hits you is the noise of the falls. We were there in late June, so the river was pretty full with the ice melt having been going on for a while.

You walk down and there is a viewing platform, where even at that distance from the falls, you will get soaked by the spray coming off them.

There are a steep set of wooden stairs to take you down to the falls, and the noise when you are right beside them is more like a roar.

Easy enough to clamber out onto the rocks between the two steps of the falls, though I wouldn't fancy falling in :O

Having done the three main bits of the Golden Circle might be enough for a day, but we had other plans.
Gullfoss 'Steps'
Getting Soaked Even At Distance
Spray At Gullfoss
nadda nadda
Jul 18, 1994
This is a beautiful waterfall. The most beautifull waterfall in Iceland and it's name is Gullfoss which means Golden Falls. Gullfoss has a beautiful rainbow right beside the falls.
Eric says:
Sounds nice! Do you have any photos? :)
Posted on: Apr 17, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Gullfoss

It was enormously beautiful & insane cold
Next step on trip was a visit to Gullfoss which is one of the main attractions on Iceland. In Copenhagen Airport they have a picture of two guys on horseback riding away from the powerful Gullfoss in…Gullfoss because the fall of 32 meters was awesome and truly impressive from the bottom.   Gullfoss
Golden Circle - Gullfoss
The "Plan": like the rest of my Iceland trip, everything was planned on the spot. The only thing I had "planned" was the lodging. So after 2 nights in Reykjavik, I had to go to Husavik because I had …Gullfoss: since I had driven almost all the way to Gullfoss the 1st day, I knew the road…
Golden Circle Tour stop III: Gullfoss Waterfall
This is stop number 3 on our tour today. Gullfoss is perhaps one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland. Our guide said many consider it the most beautiful, but then again there is more t…Gullfoss is perhaps one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland. Our guide said many consider it the most…
Gullfoss Map