Gullfoss Waterfall

Biskupstungnabraut, Hvítá River, Iceland

Gullfoss Waterfall Hvítá River Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Fozen and spectacular Jan 09, 2011
Just some 15 minutes up the road from Geysir the most amazing tourist site baffled our frozen eyes; the Gullfoss. Gullfoss is a waterfall located in the Canyon of Hvítá River and was to me the clue of the Golden Circle trip which we were following. The road towards the Gullfoss was quite beautiful and especially as the Canyon of Hvítá River became visible.

Just before the waterfall the road splits in two directions where the one take you down to a parking near the waterfall and the over continues towards the tourist centre of Gullfoss. The centre is quite large and I estimated it to be able to serve more than 500 visitors at one time.

Just outside the centre there is a wooden paved path leading to several visual points of the waterfall and where you have a great view of it. When I was there it was freezing cold and just getting down to the fall from my rental car gave me a brain freeze like the ones where you drink a slush puppy too fast.

The view of the 32 meter deep fall was spectacular and I really liked the fact that it was iced in. The power of the fall was still impressive, but the cold was keeping me from enjoying it for too long.

The noise must was probably far from the one being there in the spring when the water would burst over the edge with enormous power. It was still amazing to watch the ice and the ice-covered mountain sides.

The place was definitely well worth visiting and to me it was a personal high of my brief visit to Iceland.
X_Drive says:
You did a great job on this and the pictures are wonderful!! :D
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
Glynnes says:

Nice to know and Thanks for sharing such amazing photos.
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
Chokk says:
Posted on: Jan 20, 2011
Africancrab Africanc…
Iceland's most famous and most beautiful Waterfall Oct 25, 2010
This was our third stop on the Golden Circle tour. To get to it, we drove past the Geyers and headed straight to the falls with the mind to comeback to the Geyser on the return leg. From Geyer, Gullfoos waterfall is about 6 miles away. If I had not been apart of a guided tour, a hike would have been a great thing to do from Geyer to Gullfoss or vice versa. From Geyser on route 35 north towards Kjolur likes the famous Gullfoss waterfall. It is spectacular and a great photo opportunity. There is a great view of the glaciers from Gulfoss. The sky was not clear enough when we arrived, but one could still see the large white range in the distance.

Gullfoss (The Golden waterfall), pronounced gool foss, is Iceland's most famous waterfall, and one of the natural wonders of the world. It has also been categorized among Europe’s most powerful waterfalls. The enormous white glacial cascade drops 32 meters into a narrow canyon 70 meters deep and 2.5 kilometers long. It is divided into two: the upper one has a drop of 11 meters and the lower one 21 meters. Located in the White glacier river which extends from the mountains to the sea, it overs a spectacular view of nature's forces.

The sun shown on the day of our tour and dimmed right about the time we were arriving at Gullfoss, nonetheless, we caught two incredibly beautiful rainbows, providing an unparalleled spectacle of color and motion. I was as excited as a child gets when they see candy. The might of the falls could be felt far off to the rim of the viewing deck as the wind blew sending the water spray across the viewing points. Up close you can see the water is not all that clean, the discoloration is caused by sediments carried down as a result of carving of the earth by glacier ice. A safe walk way has been built for people to walk right up to the falls, while at the top of the falls is another viewing deck where a different vantage point is available for great photo opportunity.

The history of the waterfalls is an interesting one. It is said that the waterfall was once privately owned by Sigríður Tómasdóttir, the daughter of Tómas Tómasson in the first half of the 20th century. She is said to have lived at a farm nearby and loved Gullfoss with everything in her soul. About the same time there were rumors and speculation about the possibility of using the falls to harness hydro electric power. The building of a hydroelectric generator would have closed the fall to the public and changed the falls forever. Sigríður Tómasdóttir is said to have declined the purchase of the falls, protesting feverishly to the point of threatening to take her own life in favor of the falls remaining untamed. Thanks to her people like me were able to see the majesty of this beautiful wonder many centuries later.

There is a visitor center, restaurant and gift shop by the falls where you can get refreshments, purchase souvenirs, and eat the original Icelandic lamb soup. If you travel as part of the Golden Circle Tour, your ticket entitles you to a 10% discount on the lamb soup. I highly recommend you try it if you are not a vegetarian.
Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland.
Saskia007 says:
I agree that soup was so delicious - I took a lot of photos of the waterfall, but then also a lot of photos of the soup :) It was amazing to see this place - I saw it in the winter and it was completely frozen!
Posted on: Jan 19, 2011
Africancrab says:
It is a mighty falls, it was great being there.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010
missandrea81 says:
Very nice! I love waterfalls!
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010