Guilin Riverside Hostel

NO.6 Zhu Mu Xiang, Guilin, China
www.guilin-hostel.com - +86 773 2580215
Guilin Riverside Hostel - One of the luxury rooms with big balcony overlooking the river
Guilin Riverside Hostel - Riverside Hostel

Guilin Riverside Hostel Rates and Deals

Guilin Riverside Hostel Reviews

fragler fragler
Affordable and very friendly hostel close by the river Jul 14, 2011
I stayed four nights at the Riverside Hostel in Guilin. They have clean rooms a nice balcony and a very friendly and helpful staff that speaks English.

They can arrange several tours for you like a trip to the Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces or a River Cruise. But they're never pushy in any way.

I would say it's the place to stay if you ever go to Guilin.
Biedjee Biedjee
Nice and quiet Nov 06, 2010
Tucked away in a little dead-end street along the Taohua river, this is a lovely quiet place. The hostel consists of two buildings next to each other, with separate entrances and receptions. I stayed at what they called 'the new building', so I can't comment on the older building.

The room I stayed at is sold as either a dorm room or a twin/triple room. I had the place for myself as it was very quiet, which was nice. The room was small, but complete. A bunk bed with a double bed at the bottom and a single at the top, A/C, TV and shower and toilet. The beds are lacking mattresses though. In typical Chinese fashion you're sleeping on little more than wooden boards. Bear this in mind if you are not used to hard beds.

The first night of my stay the place was absolutely deserted, so I was able to peek into some of the rooms as well. The luxury doubles are absolutely gorgeous. If you're travelling as a couple, try to get yourself one of these. They're worth it!

(the beds seemed more comfortable too)

At the ground floor there's the reception, restaurant, travel agent, bike rental, all in one room, which resembles someone's living room rather than a hostel. It adds to the homely feel of the place.

They do a greasy attempt at a Western breakfast, but they have good coffee. The hotel/restaurant next door might be a better choice for your morning eggs though.

There is a free Internet terminal in the lobby and wi-fi is also available in the rooms. Technophiles beware: the internet is horribly slow, though I found this to be the case in most hostels in China.

It might be a bit far removed from the action at Zhengyang Lu, but its proximity to the long-distance bus station and the central train station are definitely a bonus. Besides, Guilin is very small - It's a ten minute walk to the centre, or you can take one of the bicycles from the hostel.

They arrange free pick-up from the train station. Pick-up from the airport costs Rmb 90, for up to 4 people.

Just why this is called a hostel, I don't know though. It is basically a nice, cheap to mid-range hotel. I think they target the hostel audience to get more business, as my room is sold both as a dorm and as a twin-bedded room. Makes sense, in a way. Just don't expect any late night parties to happen here.
Riverside Hostel
My room
Bathroom
One of the luxury rooms with big b…
jendara says:
Congrats on your Featured Review:)
Well done my friend!!!
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured, Bart! Very well done!
rotorhead85 says:
Nice Feature!
AlexandraQuinton Alexandr…
Average all-rounder. May 28, 2009
Located only a short walk from the train and bus stations, this hostel is in a great location.

However, to call it a hostel is a bit of a stretch as it is really just a hotel. It's not really the kind of place to meet any other travellers.

The room was clean and we had a HUGE balcony overlooking the river. There was air conditioning, a wardrobe, TV and a comfortable bed.

We had booked online for a room with a shared bathroom, as the en-suite room was very expensive in comparison. When we arrived, we discovered that every room is en-suite anyway, which was a bonus and a relief we didn't pay the extra.

The staff don't all speak English, which gives you an opportunity to try out your Chinese, but it can be a bit difficult. They are very patient and helpful though.

The hostel did not provide small maps of the local area, so we had to buy a huge map from them instead.

Overall, it was a comfortable, problem-free stay, just not what I expected from a 'hostel'.
The view from our balcony

Check Guilin Riverside Hostel Rates and Deals