Guided walking tour, Røros

Peder Hiorts gate 2, Røros, Norway

Guided walking tour, Røros Reviews

davidx davidx
A real treat Jun 24, 1997
I have reluctantly come to using tourist buses for first impressions of a place as I have become older but guided walks are very definitely not my scene. So why did I go on this one? and what's that 5 about?

I first went to Norway on an independent tour by 'Norway Only'. This included two nights in Røros. it was my first holiday on my own after I had a defibrillator/cardioverter fitted and I was not sure about the wisdom of a trip down the old copper mine. I was happy that I could see the town without any guide.

A brief walk around laft me very curious about history and way of life - and the guided walk had been strongly recommended by Norway Only (who could hardly be making any money by pushing it.) Anyway, what do I know about copper? The whole atmosphere of the place with its ancient wooden houses and the old smelting works had me intrgued and longing to know more. OK, so I'm a soft touch if you like - but I booked. If you go to book or phone you can find out when there are tours in English or German.

When I turned up for the tour, there was just a married couple with their young son from the Netherlands and myself. Our guide was a youngish woman, Norwegian but who had lived some time in Australia. She was so well informed and so good at creating interest. I was surprised that much of the social history of Røros in the 19th century so closely resembled that of Wales.

Tales (true ones) about some of the last residents of some very old cottages were amazing. the tour finished at the church where wood had been made to look like marble. Then it's the only time in my life that I have been taken for a coffee at a local cafe by a professional guide - not that there is any guarantee that you would get this!
Main street, Røros
back yard, Røros

Compare Roros Hotel Rates (1.8km away)

Guided walking tour, Røros Map