Guesthouse Garun

Check Akureyri Hotel Deals

Guesthouse Garun Akureyri Reviews

halilee halilee
Some kinks, but good value Jun 09, 2014
I spent 3 nights at this hostel/hotel/guesthouse, and it was a bit of a mixed bag. First, there is a wide variety of rooms available from dorm style rooms to private rooms with shared bathroom. Mine was the latter. The room was small, clean, with a small desk and closet area. The bed was comfy as were the pillows and the quilt and sheets were clean and crisp. There is an adjustable heater in the room. I also had a very small balcony, however, the 1st time I opened it, I wasn't able to close it again and it just always stayed open a crack. I told the man I assume is the owner and he offered to change my room but I didn't bother.

The shared bathrooms are also nice and clean, 1 for every floor of which there are 4 floors. The shower on the 2nd floor didn't drain hardly at all though and I didn't even have time to wash and condition my hair before water was overflowing out of the shower and I had to hustle out. The 3rd floor shower drained fine. There is decent hot water though!

The 2nd day, the power went out in the entire building we were in from around 7am until after lunch. This was a concern for our refrigerated items in the fridge upstairs not to mention we weren't able to make ourselves breakfast that morning. Which makes mention, there is a very small kitchen area on the 4th floor with a very small fridge.

Free parking from 4pm -10am is available in the parking lot about 1/2 block away.

My friend stayed in the hostel dorm room at the same place, and it was also clean and actually quite nice. The security system is good with a code needed to enter the building even.

There is a coffee shop in the guesthouse though I never used it.

For a clean place to stay for a reasonable price, Garun will do the trick, but it is certainly not without it's issues and you might be able to find better elsewhere.
Private room
Communal kitchen
halilee says:
Vance, I was in Iceland from June 4-20th lol. :) It was amazingly beautiful!! :)
Posted on: Jul 24, 2014
vances says:
Congrats on the feature, but good heavens! When the heck did you get to Iceland???
Posted on: Jul 03, 2014