Guantanamera cruise ship Galapagos

Baltra, Ecuador

Compare Galapagos Islands Hotel Rates (4.9km away)

Guantanamera cruise ship Galapagos Baltra Reviews

eefab eefab
Affordable cruise ship for the Galapagos Dec 01, 2013
I found the trickiest part of planning my Ecuador trip was picking a boat for the Galapagos. My main reqiuirement was it had to fit in my schedule, then budget.

I ended up booking the Guantanemera. The Guantanemera is a budget option in the “Tourist Superior” class. The ship has room for 16 people, plus 6 crew + the guide.

The guide (Diego) came to pick us up from the airport, he was the only English speaking of the 7 people staff on board. Diego was very knowledgeable and he talked about the islands with enthusiasm. Every evening he briefed us on the activities for the next day so that we could prepare and bring proper clothes and footwear. Some evenings he showed us a documentary on the Galapagos.

All of the other staff were great as well, they didn't speak any English, but were always helpful and generally friendly.

Every morning and afternoon we had a full schedule of one or two activities , usually 1 hike and 1 or snorkeling session per day-part. For the snorkeling I rented a wet-suit from the boat, which made the snorkeling a lot more comfortable. In December the water can be still quite cold. After the snorkeling there was usually a drink and a snack waiting for us at the boat.

Water, tea and coffee were available for free throughout the day, other drinks were $3 for soda/beer, more expensive for cocktails/wine. The food was nothing fancy, but very tasty and with lots of variety.

There were a number of young man on the boat with a healthy appetite, the quantity was just enough for everyone. If you were late for dinner some dishes would be gone already.

I had a room on deck level and had windows unlike the cabins downstairs. The room was tiny, it had a bunk beds and barely any space to put your stuff. Sleeping on the top bunk was

challenging the first night when we sailed to Genovesa island; the ride was very rocky and without a railing I felt I would fall out of bed a couple of times.

Bathroom was clean and the shower was great and you'll find yourself in the shower a lot with all the snorkeling.

Noise from the engine was audible from all the rooms on the ship, better book on a bigger ship if you don't like that. Better also book a bigger boat if you have sea-sickness; on a small one like this it can get pretty choppy.

I don't think anyone on board paid the same price. The general rule seemed to be: The further away from the islands and the longer in advance, the more you pay.

If you have the flexibility to go to the islands and book there, possibly having to wait for a couple of days, you can save a lot of money.
The Guantanamero
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :D
Posted on: Apr 04, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Apr 04, 2014

Compare Galapagos Islands Hotel Rates (4.9km away)

Baltra Map