Grouse Grind

Vancouver, Canada
Grouse Grind - the point of no return.
Grouse Grind - only half way there?
Grouse Grind - notice the wet t-shirt!
Grouse Grind - UP only.
Grouse Grind - MADE IT!
Grouse Grind - celebrating with the beer we hauled up ALL 2.9km!n
Grouse Grind - the gondola down.

Grouse Grind Vancouver Reviews

Octravelguy77 Octravel…
Mother Nature's Stairmaster Apr 07, 2011
If you ever visit Vancouver, BC and you're fortunate enough to find a nice, dry day...Grouse Grind is an excellent way to get some exercise, experience nature and catch some breath taking views of the city.

My friends and I were in town on a bachelor party and wanted to do more than the usual clubs, drink and play in the city. I thought a casual afternoon hike would be a good way to get out and see the views of the city as well experience something truly Vancouver. So after a night of heavy drinking on the town, we get up, put some shorts on, pack a case of beer in a couple backpacks (BAD IDEA), and make our way to Grouse Mountain.

Turns out to be anything but your average Sunday hike. Depending on your level of fitness, it can be a 30min hike or a 2hour+ GRIND. Last time I checked the record was 24:22 by a World Mountain Running champion from NZ. The hike is 2.9km or 1.8 miles up an approximate 56% slope (30°), which starts at the Valley Station of Grouse Mountain and finishes at the Peak’s plateau.

Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)

- Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)

- Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)

- Total Stairs: 2,830

Statistics: Annually, over 100,000 people hike the Grind™.

Average Time: On average it takes up to an hour and a half to complete the hike.

For novice hikers, up to two hours is recommended.

As our journey begins not knowing we had 2.9km and over 2,800 stairs to climb, we were all smiles. As the glutes start to burn, we start to wonder what we had gotten ourselves into. We keep chugging along and finally run into the 1/4 mark which conveniently reads "PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK" whaaat? Now what? Each quarter mark is clearly shown with large signs and can be a relief or an indication on whether to continue or not. If you are struggling at the first quarter mark (which we were) or have run out of water (we had beer), it might be a better idea to walk back down as there is still a LONG, LONG way to go. Upon discussing what to do, we decided to "March On" I will be the first to admit packing beer was the stupidest idea ever. Not only did it make a grueling hike that much harder, we were forced to pass it around like a baton in a relay race. Truth be told, I'm not sure if I ever saw the backpacks unless we had stopped for a beer break along the way. There were many, many times where I wanted, begged and pleaded to go back down but with some beer and of course, some encouragement, we kept on burning up the mountain.

The third quarter is the steepest. The fourth quarter is also quite steep with some sections containing very large steps. Just think happy thoughts and keep going, you're almost there! Once at the top, you've conquered the Grouse Grind. You can stop in to buy a souvenir t-shirt, have a beer and enjoy the sites from the top of Vancouver before taking the scenic gondola ride down.

I've been on many Vegas trips and bachelor parties but there's a certain camaraderie that comes with moments such as the Grouse Grind. Conquering the trail is simply an experience itself, one of fraternity, shared pain, sweat and accomplishment. In general, few leave disappointed.
the point of no return.
only half way there?
notice the wet t-shirt!
UP only.
jesunrise says:
May I ask your advice on best way to get there from Stanley Park? Is there a City Bus to start of trail?
Posted on: Aug 06, 2012
Karzy Karzy
Grouse Grind- for the athletic, outdoorsy types! Apr 25, 2011
The Grouse Grind is a 2.9 km trail up the face of Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, BC. It's a fantastic workout, you feel like you are doing the stair climber for 2.9 kms, the trail is surrounded by the forest and all nature has to offer. Once you make it to the top, you can grab a drink and then take the Gondola down the mountain for a small fee.

Related Travel Blogs About Grouse Grind

Grouse Mountain...and Grinder and Coola the rescue bears
    Okay so it is still May 24th, Saturday evening...and we a head up to Grouse Mountain to see the resuced bears who call this place home, also to have a great dinner, watch the sunse…Vancouver's famous hike, the Grouse Grind, which is often referred to as Mother Natures Stairmaster.  This fully rigorous…

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals