Groton is a town located on the Thames River in New London County, Connecticut. The population was 39,907 at the 2000 census.
Groton is the home of the Electric Boat Corporation, which is the major contractor for submarine work for the United States Navy, and the Navy's SUBASE New London. The pharmaceutical company Pfizer is also a major employer. The Avery Point section of Groton is home to a regional campus of the University of Connecticut.
Groton was incorporated as a town in 1705, when it separated from New London. Incorporation made it less necessary for Groton residents to cross the Thames to New London, a hazardous task at the time.
Soon after incorporation, the first Baptist church in Connecticut, now known as the Old Mystic Baptist Church, was founded in Groton in 1705.
In September 6, 1781, the Battle of Groton Heights took place. British forces aided by Benedict Arnold attacked Ft. Griswold and then set fire to New London and Groton Bank.
Groton originally encompassed the present towns of Groton and Ledyard. The center of town was located at the intersection of present-day Routes 184 and 117. The town's first school and church, the tavern and a stagecoach shop (the current Haley House) were located at this intersection. When Ledyard separated from Groton to become a separate town in 1836, the area was no longer the geographic center, but it is still known as Center Groton.
A major New England tourist destination, the town is also home to the Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration, notable for its research department, dedication to marinelife rehabilitation…