Groovy Gecko Tours

063 3836 521

Groovy Gecko Tours Da Lat Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
Not for the faint hearted Dec 29, 2015
My friend told me she had been recommended this tour by other travellers she met in Cambodia. She managed to convince me, I was keen to try something different but really had no idea what was in store. In case you are wondering I have a fear of heights, I'm small and not very strong.

The canyoning with this company is more expensive than others, my friend said its because they guarantee smaller group sizes and they go to a specific set of waterfalls that no other company uses, called Dasar Falls. So in the end I think it was 900,000 dong, which is expensive.

The journey there was pretty cool, standing up in the truck, off road driving for about 40 mins til you get to the falls. We start off by changing, they give us wetsuits, helmets, harnesses etc. and then we do some practice techniques with the ropes on land. All's good so far.

First waterfall I think was around 6m I think. I coped pretty well considering. I had been given beat up old converse which have zero grip when you are abseiling down a waterfall. Then you jump backwards into the pool at the bottom. Overall we did 6 waterfalls of varying height, 1 dry abseil and 1 natural waterslide, which you go head first on your back... ahh! but it was fun.

The saved the terrifying until last, a 65m waterfall.... yes 65m thats pretty friggin high. I started to feel very nervous and went quiet. I wanted it over and done with. So I said to the guy I'm not looking down. He said just keep an eye on your feet and look up at me, I'll guide. So I went over the edge. I have no idea how scary it looked at I really honestly couldn't look down. The rope from that height was incredibly heavy and I really struggled to get myself down, it was so tiring on the arms and I could feel my back bruising from the harness around my waist. I got to a point where it dipped and I couldn't see the guide at the top but had no choice but to check for the guy at the bottom. he kind of guided me left and right. I think it took me 10-15mins to get down completely. On touching the bottom I have never been so happy to be alive. haha I really thought I'd get stuck half way and someone would need to help me. but I made it!

once everyone was down they had a free jump off a cliff around 10m high, by this point I had exceeded my bravery and decided to just watch.

Did I enjoy my experience? hmmm I'm not sure, parts of it were fun. would I do it again? No. If you are into adventure stuff and not scared of heights like moi you will probably love it. Everyone else did. My advice would be carry sunscreen, I being a super white scottish person got so burnt and had terrible tan lines around the wetsuit. :(
so happy to be at the bottom of th…

Check Da Lat Hotel Deals