Grimshaw Hotel Restaurant

(780) 332-1869

Grimshaw Hotel Restaurant Reviews

planxty planxty
Yet another decent Albertan bar. Mar 14, 2017
"We're all going to the zoo tomorrow" or so runs the old children's song immortalised by Peter Paul and Mary, Tom Paxton and sundry others. I am not a great fan of zoos but I really liked the one in Grimshaw so please allow me to explain because if the reader searches online they will most definitely not find any such establishment listed there.

I have mentioned elsewhere on my pages that Albertan bars follow a formula and here it is. I really should have a template for them that says "clean, tidy, large screen TVs, gaming machines (VLTs as they are called here), pool table(s), no draught beer only bottled, friendly service and empty"! Honestly, I have just summed up this place in one sentence but it would be lazy to leave it there so therefore I'll add a few details.

We had called into the Grimshaw Hotel in a) a bid to find something to write on a now murdered website about and b) quench my apparently insatiable thirst for beer! For the benefit of the reader who may not have known the late and very much lamented Virtual Tourist and come upon this tip by way of a search engine, I should explain here.

We deliberately look for out of the way places which I know may sound odd but there are a number of reasons for this. One of them is pretty pathetic at least in my case as a man of 56 years at time of writing. The main reason is that we both just like to explore. Secondly, we generally find some little thing of interest to see or do anywhere we go (in this the cat train mentioned in another review here) which is surely what travelling is all about.

The final reason is the one that may sound pathetic and it is to do with the now extinct Virtual Tourist website itself. For those who may not know, on that wonderful website you got what is called a "pioneer badge" if you are the first member to write a tip about one of the several million locations on the database.

Even if it was not on the already fairly comprehensive database the ever-helpful staff at VTHQ would add it for you so you could "claim" it for VT. OK, laugh at me if you want but I enjoyed doing it and I was doing nobody any harm. We did the same thing when Lynne visits UK and she actually had more pioneer badges in my native Northern Ireland than I had!

The Grimsahw hotel conforms very much to type and there is little to tell about it other than it is a friendly place staffed by a delightful server, nice cold beer and very friendly. The kicker came when I saw the sign (as pictured) proclaiming a certain area "The Zoo". I knew at that moment that I was in the right place!

I know it to be unlikely that the reader will ever be there but if you are passing through Grimshaw, this place is well worth a visit for a quick beer or coffee if you are driving on that main highway.

Hugely regrettably the website I mentioned has now been removed by an inherently evil man called stepthen kaufer (this is not a typo, I refuse to dignify him by capitalising his name) so my reason for travelling is just about removed.

I shall now be writing my travel reviews here where he cannot get his evil clutches on it. Yet!

The Grimshaw hotel is recommended.
spocklogic says:
The awards here are very much a self challenge and something to shoot for in progress over time. There is not the kind of ranking here like on VT, but members do have a 'Most Active Status" which is a measure of overall activity over time - photos, blogs, reviews, forum posts, comments and smiles. To rise in the 'ranks' here on Most Active list you must smile, smile, smile a lot and make comments too. This is the main way, but blogs/reviews/photos matter too.
planxty says:
I am not going to come in here and try to dictate policy for what is obviously a very well ordered site. There are plenty of "medals" to go for! I just liked the concept on VT and used to go out deliberately to seek such places out (pathetic I know) as humans are inherently competitive. Now that I am here, I am more than happy to just try to work towardss as many of the available awards as I can.
spocklogic says:
There was talk here long time ago about a Pioneer award, but at some point 11 seemed enough as they are now.

Check Grimshaw Hotel Deals