Grill 23

161 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA, USA

Grill 23 Boston Reviews

jhoc jhoc
just another steakhouse Nov 15, 2010
Grill 23 is a well known steak house in Boston just a few minutes’ walk from Copley Square. Boston seems to have a high concentration of steak houses in this area and from what I can tell they’re all about the same. From the street it looks like any other nice restaurant with a covered entryway, valets and smartly dressed people moving about. On the inside there is an impressive open space with very high ceilings, some split level seating and decorative columns to break up the space. Behind the reception area is a smallish bar where people eat and drink and then you step down into the main eating area which has a large wooden bread station just outside the partially exposed kitchen.

Lots of staff are hustling around providing a top notch service. For some reason steak houses like to give you a large one page hard cardboard menu that is very inconvenient once you’ve looked at it because it doesn’t fit on the table and becomes a task to manage. Grill 23 is no different, but we ordered quickly. The menu has some salads and starts followed by some special dishes followed by the meat selection and the a la carte side dishes. We went right for the meat, as you do.

The speciality here and what sets it apart from other establishments is the aged Kobe Beef (Wagyu sometimes know as) they have. The price, nearly double the other cuts, certainly distinguishes it. No one in my party opted for it. I instead went with my steakhouse favourite which is the NY Strip. A side of hash browned potatoes and that was me done. We got a bottle of Cab Sav to round out the drinking. Their wine list is deep covering most regions for reds so you are sure to find something of interest and in budget.

The food was good but I wouldn’t say it is the best steak I’ve ever had. I’m always a little disappointed with presentation as they literally throw a slab of meat onto a vacant white plate and call it culinary delight. I guess you know what to expect at a steakhouse so it is okay but there is some opportunity to actually present it and possibly add a touch of sauce to show off some talents of the chef. Interestingly they never wheeled around the cutting board of raw meat which often happens before ordering. I think this was for the best but some would probably disagree.

No desserts for us, just a meat fest and off again! I found the open seating to be a bit loud in the end and the meal was just average for me compared to other steakhouses. Given the choice again I’d got for something like Abe & Louie’s down the road which is on par or better with food quality and has a nice atmosphere in my opinion. I will update my review if I make it back and try the Kobe Beef.

Check Boston Hotel Deals