Grgic Appartements & Rooms

Check Novigrad Hotel Deals

Grgic Appartements & Rooms Novigrad Reviews

aloneinthecrowd aloneint…
All show and no substance Jul 06, 2016
Since we're traveling on a low budget I checked the net for a reasonable accommodation in Novigrad. The Grgic Appartements & Rooms seemed to be a good deal. According to their website (unfortunately in German only) the house is located close to the old town of Novigrad, it looked very new on the pics and the prices in peak season where reasonable (€ 55 per night). Breakfast was included also. So, we decided to book.

When we arrived the door was closed and there was nobody at the reception so we had to phone them to open us. Thankfully I had the printed confirmation with me otherwise we would have to wait until anybody would show up.

We got informed that the rooms are available not before 2 p. m. but we arrived at 12 p. m. already. So we asked if we could check-in already. The lady at the reception wasn't pleased but she checked if the room was finish already and it was. Lucky us. But before we could move in we had to pay. I was asked to make a pre-payment of € 100 when I booked the room and so did I. But this pre-payment hasn't been considered in the invoice. Since the lady didn't speak English or German just Croatian we argued for a while because I wasn't willing to pay more than I supposed. With sign language I asked her to call her boss to clear the situation. A few minutes later he showed up. He talked German and I explained the issue. He confirmed grumbling that I've paid already. So, I paid just the difference. Wow, bad start but that was just the beginning.

The lady showed us the room (2nd floor - no elevator) and explained the AC and off she was.

On first sight the room was ok. It was very small but that didn't matter because we would be there just for sleeping. The bathroom was nice also. Since the house was very new everything looked shiny. But it was just sham. If you had a closer look the room and the bathroom was dirty.

The first 2 days nobody showed up to maintain the room not before we complained about it. Then only the beds were made and we got new towels twice - and that's it. The bathroom and the room hasn't been cleaned during the whole week of our stay. The second day I walked barefoot from the room into the bathroom and had dust bunnies under my feet - eeek!! Since then I always left my slippers on.

The breakfast was lousy. There was bread, cheese and cold cut (cutted so thin that you could look through), jam, cereals, and colored sweet water aka juice (some people brought their own juice). The best was the coffee.

The location wasn't what we expected either. According to the website it should not be far from the old town but in fact it was 1.5 km away and we had to walk at least 20 minutes to get there. Since it was hard to find a parking place in the center we mostly walked.

All in all it was disappointing. The only good thing was that the room had AC which was helpful because it was hot (35° C / 95° F - even at night it was still 28° C / 82° F) and wifi was free.
HORSCHECK says:
Interesting story here. - Thanks for your congrats on my latest award.
Posted on: Feb 13, 2017
stacey72 says:
I'm sorry you had a poor experience, Jutta! :(
Posted on: Nov 16, 2016
aloneinthecrowd says:
Ich weiß nicht, vielleicht hatten die einen schlechten Tag. Schlimmer war, dass es so dreckig war.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2016