Greyfriars Bobby

Scotland, United Kingdom
Greyfriars Bobby - Statue of Bobby
Greyfriars Bobby - Bobby outside the pub!
Greyfriars Bobby - Bobby
Greyfriars Bobby - John Gray
Greyfriars Bobby - Greyfriars churchyard or as they would say in Scotland Kirkyard.
Greyfriars Bobby - Sorry, a little fuzzy.
Greyfriars Bobby - Sorry, a little fuzzy.

Greyfriars Bobby Reviews

milltownmeadow milltown…
Nov 07, 2007
Last summer while in Edinburgh I remembered the story of a little dog called Greyfriars Bobby, its a sad but very sweet story.

Around 1850 a man called John Gray worked as a night watchman for the police force to keep him company he took along his Skye terrier Bobby and for the next few years they became a familiar sight. John became very ill with tuberculosis and eventually died of the disease in February 1858 and was buried in Greyfriars churchyard,at this time dogs were not aloud to enter churchyards. The very next morning Bobby was found keeping a constant watch and guard over his masters grave, the gardener and keeper of Greyfriars tried on many occasions to keep Bobby out, but the next morning Bobby was there!in the end he gave up and provided a shelter for Bobby by placing sacking beneath two tablestones at the side of John Grays grave. Bobby would leave at 1.00pm each day to go for his food from the local people, he remained loyal to his master for fourteen years untill his own death in 1872.

Bobby is also buried at Greyfriars but just outside the graveyard as dogs could not be buried inside the churchyard.

Bobbys headstone reads

Greyfriars Bobby

Died 14th January 1872

Age 16 years

Let his loyalty and devotion be a lesson to all us all.

I thought this was a great story and I just wanted to share it.

There has been a movie made called Greyfriars Bobby I have seen watched it and its ok.
Statue of Bobby
Bobby outside the pub!
John Gray
Bobby
X_Drive says:
Our tour driver gave us the story while we slowly drove past the small statue. Very touching. Wish we could be a loyal as our dogs. :)
hannah-lou says:
You have just given me another MUST SEE while in Endinburgh next year!! I'll def be catchin up with Bobby and goin to the Bar for a drink.
djinn88 says:
I remember hearing this, but couldn't remember what city it was. Excellent that you found this nice story.
X_Drive X_Drive
Touching story Jun 10, 2005
The story of this loyal little Skye terrier would bring a tear to almost any soul on earth. Back in the mid 1800s John Gray had a dog that stayed by him thru thick and thin and the two became inseparable. Upon his death the dog stayed nearby and watched as his owner was buried in Greyfriar’s churchyard. Although he wasn’t supposed to be there, the dog layed at his master’s grave every night for the next fourteen years until his own death. Bobby is buried as close as they could allow to his master, just outside the churchyard.

And the small statue is placed at the roadside so that everyone will remember his loyalty and devotion.
Sorry, a little fuzzy.