Greenwich Village

New York, United States

Greenwich Village Reviews

baileysbella baileysb…
Greenwich Village Food Tasting & Culture Walking Tour Oct 20, 2010
I didn't really know too much about Greenwich Village but was happy to comply when my friend said she wanted to do this food and culture walking tour for her birthday.

I couldnt' have been more impressed! Barri is a local and shared some fabulous secrets and stories about this great little corner of NYC.

On the tour we got to try food from 7 fabulous local restaurants, specialty food stores, bakeries and pastry shops, as well as hear all about the great history of this quaint little village. We really could have stepped back in time.

The tour is about 3 hours long which is plenty of time to enjoy each location without rushing too much, including a quite leisurely lunch.

The places we went...

Joe's Pizza - hands down best pizza I tried in NYC. Just incredible!

Arancini ball - can't remember where this was from, but it was delicious!

Palma restaurant - cauliflower and current entree

Soy & Sake Vegetarian Japanese cafe - the tofu looked and tasted just like pork!! Really great lunch.

Milk & Cookies - the chocolate chip cookies were so fabulous we bought a packet mix so we could make some at home!

Murray's cheese shop - some great cheese, olives & cured meats.

Rocco's pastry shop - cannoli, can't top it - superb!

The tour took in sites like the building used in the opening credits of "Friends," the narrowest house in NYC and some of the great little quirky areas with the only winding roads on the island of Manhattan.

Highly recommend this tour if you are in in NYC, would love to get out to learn about this most famous village from a local and love your food!!

~$50 p/p
kat307 kat307
Great area for a fun night out! Sep 16, 2009
I loved Greenwich Village!

Wondered around there one day, full of small shops selling all sorts of weird and wonderful things. The NYU campus is in this area so it's very student orientated and laidback. Had lunch in The Red Lion, a British/Irish pub, massive portions! We could barely finish our starters!

Another night we had dinner at The Olive Tree Cafe. Really cool place with a relaxed atmosphere. The food was delicious, as were the cocktails! Reasonably priced, friendly staff, the tables were made of slate and there was chalk provided so you can doodle while you eat/drink.

Went to a bar called Off The Wagon, it was really fun in there and at $2 per drink for ladies I wasn't complaining! They had games going on too, Beer Pong, an American college game. Everyone was friendly and chatty, and the music was rock/indie.
Ms_PurpleRain Ms_Purpl…
Oct 21, 2007
This is where I found myself most afternoons whilst I was in New York. The highly cosmopolitian area with loads of cool artists and hip young people present. The Village is primarily a residential neighborhood that gave birth to the Beat Generation. Bob Dylan, Jack Kerouac and Dylan Thomas all roamed the treelined streets.Many argue that the bohemian vibe has long gone but I felt the bohemian impact within the walls of the fabled coffeehouses and bars that border historic Washington Square Park. My favourite coffeehouse was Caffe Reggio which is much recommended.

Bleecker Street (famous Beat and hippie hangouts) are lined with super-hip boutiques, delis displaying esoteric beers from around the globe and cafes and restaurants of all stripes. I found myself hanging out in this particular street as it is home to my favourite bag shop Lulu Guiness.

You can also take a stroll in Washington Square Park which has a very cool carnival atmosphere with alot of street performers from musicians to chess players.

A must see when you are in New York expecially if you want to get out of the coroparate hussle bussle of mainstream Manhattan.
flammick says:
I loved Bleecker! I was in New York just before Christmas, and hung out in Greenwich Village for a little bit. Had coffee and Bleecker as well as a great Mexican just at the end of the street. There was snow, Christmas decorations, festive cheer, and all that kind of thing. Perfect!
Posted on: Jan 23, 2008
antigonewanders antigone…
Dec 25, 2007
My favorite place to hang out in all of NYC is Greenwich Village. It is filled with cute restaurants. My favorites are the Grey Dog, a cute café with a fantastic menu at University and 12th, and Peanut Butter & Co., a sandwich shop devoted to George Washington Carver's greatest invention. If you want to people watch, you can sit in Washington Square Park, a haven for characters and street artists alike. Finally, if you are a film buff, the Village is a must-go because it is home to several artsy movie theaters, like the Film Forum.
Greenwich Village Map