Greenvale Vineyards

582 Wapping Rd., Portsmouth, RI, USA - 401-847-3777

Greenvale Vineyards Portsmouth Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Nice vineyard in Rhode Island Nov 17, 2010
There is a winery passport of 6 vineyards in the area (5 of which are close, 1 of which is on the Cape). Greenvale is in the SE corner of Rhode Island and is accesible with a car.

Check the website before you go; when I went, you paid $10 if you pretty much arrived at the beginning of the afternoon, but they were having jazz later in the afternoon and the price for the tasting went up a few bucks. If you arrive late in the afternoon (perhaps you were visiting other vineyards or sightseeing else where), parking may be a bit hectic. There is a semi-circular road when you can park and I'm not sure if you can see if from the road, but if you drive just a few feet beyond that area, on the far side of the tasting room, there is a bit more parking. This area is dog-friendly, so please drive slowly.

For my fee, I was offered 5 white wines and 1 red. Their harvest from last year produced 35.5 tons of grapes and they almost doubled that in 2010! I am not a fan of dry wine and there were 2 bottle I ended up buying as I try to refine my pallet. The red was undoable and I couldn't even finish what was in my glass.

For November, the weather was unseasonable subtle and it was 66 degrees. After my tasting, the tasting room began to get a bit crowded and there were vendors outside (cheese, chocolate, assorted dips), so I bought a glass of Vidal and sat on the bench outside trying to soak up some vitamin C. If you get to plan a trip here in advance (cause I just went on a whim), feel free to bring a blanket or a foldable lawn chair and enjoy!
It was such a beautiful day for a …
That's where they played the jazz …

Check Portsmouth Hotel Deals