Greenfield Lake Park

1739 Burnett Blvd., Wilmington, NC, USA

Greenfield Lake Park Wilmington Reviews

vances vances
A great place to "park" Mar 04, 2015
I am fortunate to live right next to a wonderful green space in Wilmington, the aptly named Greenfield Park. The park consists of 250 acres encompassing Greenfield Lake. The main attraction for me is a paved, four-mile loop around the lake (the Rupert Bryan Multi-Purpose Trail, named for a local city councilman), because I run this several times each week, thanks to the wonderful setting it provides (i.e., car free = care free for runners).

My trots clearly reveal much to explore, but of course there is never time to visit what is right in your back yard. Due to a recent medical procedure, however, I was stranded at home and not allowed to run, so I invested an afternoon idly walking the loop and meandering down each and every side path. And believe me, there are many.

The park boasts plenty of recreational facilities. There are tennis courts, a playground, a concession stand (during summer months), a boat house where you may rent kayaks or canoes, and picnic tables galore. Greenfield Lake is a popular fishing spot and you will likely see folks casting from shore or by boat, but they also have a boat ramp so you do not need to rent a craft if you want to try your line on the water. There are several formal gardens along the circuit, my favorite being the Fragrant Garden. All open areas skirt a twisting shoreline, affording great water views (there is usually a small deck hanging out onto the lake) and often a short pedestrian bridge to scramble over.

Abundant flora and fauna put you in the bonus category. Cypress trees intermingle with azaleas, rhododendrons and a host of other plants, many draped with Spanish moss. Even though I didn’t spot any alligators today, the multitude of signs warning you to not swim or harass the reptiles assures you they are around. During my single lap around the lake I did manage to capture some turtles, egrets and seagulls. Constant chatter up in the trees alerts you that many more fowl are about as you amble through the park.

While I reviewed this separately some time ago, the crown jewel of the park (for me, anyway), is the Hugh Morton Amphitheater. A lovely, small venue perched on the shoreline, the amphitheater consistently serves up name acts (I’ve enjoyed Todd Snider, Grace Potter, Michael Franti, JJ Grey& Mofro, and Donovan Frankenreiter, among others) for reasonable prices in a splendid setting.

So for many reasons, make Greenfield Lake a destination should you find yourself about Wilmington.
Here we are. Shall we???
Did you remember the picnic lunch?
"I'm going to catch a fish, else o…
Greenfield Lake Park, Wilmington, …
vances says:
I'd love to hear a good Gator story...so long as it isn't just a big croc...

:^)
Posted on: Jun 13, 2015
Travel2014 says:
I was loving it right up to the mention of alligators... : /

Some day (whenever we manage our TB meet up) I'll tell you about the bad experience I had and then you'll understand... :)
Posted on: Jun 07, 2015
vances says:
Gosh, you are right, Scot (failed to connect the dots)...I'm starting to believe gators are nothing but a croc!
Posted on: Apr 02, 2015