Green Door

(323) 463-0008

Green Door Los Angeles Reviews

sybil sybil
Jan 05, 2008
if you want to see and be seen, then this is the place for you.

the space is quite "hip" and "trendy" without trying to be one -- complete with very dim lighting (i could barely see the menu), cool mirrors and chandeliers, etc, etc. plus, there was no sign that said "green door" (other than the valet parking sign). so you know, it was supposed to be "cool." you kinda just have to know. well, i knew that it was north of de longpre and south of sunset on ivar so i pretty much figured that's where it was. and there really was nothing much around that street. don't bother valet parking. there is public parking at $6 bucks directly across the street.

on to the food/drinks: the server will tell you that there was no cocktail list or wine list but that there was a full bar. the wine list by the bottle was fairly limited so i decided that my appertif was going to be a kir royale. it was okay.

we decided to share a few appetizers: the burrata salad was ok -- i guess i am just not easy to please as i have had some excellent burrata salad (osteria mozza comes to mind). this one was ok. it had some mixed green salad, burrata and tomato. the tomato was not as sweet as i would like it to be. again, i just have had way better.

we also had the truffle mac and cheese. this was good although it did not blow my mind. the top was baked to a nice crisp.

we also had the sauteed spinach. can't really go wrong with that, so i have no complaints.

we also had the pomme frites, a.k.a. fries - potatoes and sweet potatoes. this was also fine. (i think it is rare when one can mess up fries.)

i ordered the sea bass - not the chilean kind, so i feel like i was being environmentally sound by ordering it. i thought it was overcooked. another friend ordered the sea bass and had the same complaint.

for dessert, we shared a nutella and banana crepe. now, i am a fan of nutella crepe. unfortunately, this was quite a disappointment. the crepe was served COLD. heck, not even lukewarm! who does that?!?!?! needless to say, i was appalled. normally, this dish would have been cleaned out -- primarily by yours truly. this time, it was barely touched.

for our meal, we ordered a bottle of the pinot noir david bruce. it was actually quite lovely with a nice bouquet.

overall, one could go elsewehere considering we paid about $80+ each for such a mediocre meal with hardly any alcohol for our group.

however, if you like the hollywood scene and would like to go "clubing" after dinner, then this place should suffice. i must say though that there was something disturbing about guys wearing skinny jeans and white sneakers. hey, maybe it was a generational thing... and if it was, then i am a definite fuddy duddy.
my one of many kir royales
the passable burrata salad
the ordinary truffle mac and chees…
my overcooked sea bass over spinac…
cneoridium says:
Maybe a good chef designing it, mediocre sous chefs putting the food out? It look good anyway... : )
mellemel8 says:
hee hee i love how you describe your experience :P
martinikitty13 says:
Wow - you are a tough critic! :) i really enjoyed green door, though the food was just ok.
martinikitty13 martinik…
Jan 06, 2008
Entering the Green Door (through a nondescript door on a dark small street) was like walking into a secret club. Once you passed through the dark entrance, you were greeted by lush velvet curtains and a large Victorian drawing room (think crystal chandeliers, brocade chairs and sofas, etc.). It was quite a pleasant surprise and the service (beginning from the doorman who walked me to my table to our waiter) was impeccable.

We began, as usual, with a round of cocktails. Sybil was feeling "fancy" and had kir royale (cassis with champagne) and I had my usual (grey goose, straight up with a twist). We then surveyed the menu and decided on a sampling of appetizers to share with our friends(tomato & burrata salad (refreshing, not exceptional but good), truffled mac & cheese (yummy and cheesy), mixed pommes frites (when are fried potato sticks bad?), and sauteed spinach (an attempt to be healthy, nothing special). I then had the steak frites (more fries!) - it comes pre-sliced and drenched in some sort of sauce. I must admit, while it tasted good, I really don't like my beef pre-sliced because it lets all the juices out and I am not into condiments so the sauce was distracting. Dessert were nutella crepes - sort of a let down as they were served icy cold.

All in all the food (particularly the appetizers) was good but not extraordinary. What really made the evening great was the amazing ambience and surroundings. This is a wonderful place to meet for drinks (but I hear it's hard to get into w/out dinner reservations) or have a party. Towards the end of the evening, they start playing fun danceable music. Last night appeared to be a mix of 80's and hip hop. Normal LA mix of really skinny girls and short men. :)

Tip: Valet parking is $10, but there's a lot right across the street that is cheaper.
My steak frites - good, not amazin…
Our sampling of appetizers: mixed …
Our arctic nutella crepes - why wo…
Full and happy. :)
sybil says:
woohoo! CONGRANTS on the feature1 :D
Posted on: Jan 07, 2008
jenn79 says:
Word! That IS the usual LA crowd isn't it?
Posted on: Jan 07, 2008
griffis82 says:
Sounds Nice there! I like that comment, skinny women and short men! I'd fit right in! lol

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals