Greek Parliament

Johnpro Johnpro
The Greek Parliament Jan 02, 2012
History :

The Greek Parliament .

When first built in 1843, today’s Parliament building (the Vouli) was designed as an imposing palace for imported and unwanted King Otto Wittlesbach, a 17 year old Bavarian prince and son of King Ludwig of Bavaria. King Ludwig ran out of money and the Bavarian state architect, Friedrich von Gartner, complained that the resulting structure, without his proposed but unaffordable decorative embellishment, looked like an army barracks. The building is a representative sample of the early period of Neoclassicism in Greece, and it is a work of strict geometry in its mass.

The Palace had 365 rooms and 1 bathroom whose water faucets produced a trickle of water, dead cockroaches and fauna.

The building was remodeled in 1910 to house the Hellenic parliament. Today, it still serves as the seat of the Hellenic parliament and houses offices, the national assembly room, the office of the president of the assembly, the archives and other services.

In front of the parliament building is the Tomb of the Unknown soldier. It is guarded around the clock by the Evzone's.

Useful Links : http://www.hellenicparliament.gr/en/

What around : Zappeion Garden (National Garden), Temple of Olympian Zeus , Panathinaikon Stadium .

How to go : Just in the center or take the metro , syntagma station :)

Tips :

Opening hours and tickets :

Read the official page of the parliament .

The photos are a from 2010-2012 .

Extra comment : I visit the parliament like a student in my young years , I want to get inside a day like a visitor , hope so in the near future :)

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :).

Thanks for reading !
yarayarinha7 says:
Oh Greek parliament, what have you and your government do to your people???

Hope better days will come for everyone.

John, your review are impressive :) Great job, I love it.
Posted on: Feb 02, 2013