Great White Shark Diving

Cape Town, South Africa
Great White Shark Diving - Note the cage attached to the side of the boat...that is where you will do your underwater viewing.
Great White Shark Diving - Taken on one of many bottom dives

Great White Shark Diving Cape Town Reviews

joely28 joely28
Jul 17, 2007
If you are a bit adventurous and want to have the experience of a lifetime, look into Cage Diving with Great Whites while in Cape Town.

You will have to travel approximately 2 hours by car to a small village on the Indian Ocean to begin your adventure. Most of the outfitters will pick you up directly at your hotel and transfer you to the dive location as part of the cost.

You will be fitted with a wet suit, and you will travel out into the bay. Once you reach your destination, they will lower the cage off of the side of the boat and you will be put into the cage in groups of 4. The crew will attempt to attract the sharks with chum and large pieces of fish in the water. There is NO GUARANTEE that you will see sharks.

For those of you wondering if you need to be able to swim or have Scuba experience, you do not need either to do this particular dive. The cage actually remains attached to the side of the boat and you climb in with a mask/goggles and wetsuit. The top portion of the cage stays above the water line. As the sharks approach the cage, you dive to the bottom of the cage (Approximately 5 feet to the bottom) hold your breath and witness the sharks feet from your face. Once the excitement passes, you simply resurface and wait for the next shark to approach.

If time permits, you will have 2 opportunities to get into the cage. During my visit, we were on the water for about 2 hours and within those two hours we saw nearly 15 Great Whites. It was amazing.

If you are prone to seasickness, this may not be the activity for you! There were at least 5 people that got sick on my boat eventhough from my perspective it was not that rough.

You will have an amazing time.
Note the cage attached to the side…
_kitsune says:
This has to be one of the activities I cannot pass up while in Cape Town. Thanks for sharing, this has been helpful!
Posted on: Aug 26, 2011
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Thanks for sharing! Nice blog!
Posted on: Sep 26, 2010
tropiksun tropiksun
Great White Australia! Sep 16, 2006
I had the honor of joining the "Grandfather of Great Whites" Rodney Fox, his son Andrew, their crew of 3, and a few other travelers on a journey into the South Australian Ocean for a personal introduction to a few white sharks. It was hands down the most extraordinary adventure of my life so far.

Rodney and one other Captain are the ONLY people on earth who have the ability to drop civilian master divers down to the ocean floor to see these amazing creatures undisturbed, in their natural environment, as well as some excellent surface diving. Without taking up pages upon pages of words it is hard to describe the experience. So I won't try, instead I will share a few photos and captions (and some excellent High Def video as well, via email due to file size) of my trip and hope that it inspires the curious and fearful alike to take the journey themselves. I hope it will open your eyes to how truly magnificent, calculating, and intelligent these sharks are.

As for suggestions, I strongly recommend taking a written or video journal while on the expedition, there are so many thoughts running through your head over the coarse of the trip, you will want to remember them in as much detail as possible! Also, a few extra batteries (so you don't miss any action!) and a polarized lens cap for your camcorder, and polarized sunglasses will help to eliminate the sun's glare on the water's surface. A few movies or books on your ipod can come in handy as well, there is quite a bit of down time between dives and in the evenings.

Here is a link to my profile blog from my White Shark expedition in the Neptune Islands, South Australia.
Taken on one of many bottom dives
williamsworld says:
I was going to go on one of this expeditions in S Africa, but the water was rough, I was relieved because I was sacred to death to even think about it. Very cool for others. Take care.

Posted on: Aug 05, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Great White Shark Diving

Almost ready
We're really close to take off.  This trip, more than any other, has taken a lot of strategy and a lot more planning than I've ever done.  I've purchased medical travel insurance, rented an…Cape Town, Great White Shark cage diving, a wine tour out to Stellenbosch and our final week in Durban lounging…
Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…Cape town myself but instead I decided to stay and start my flying instruction.   In the evening I went out for dinner with Ryan, I forgot it was valentines…
Beers, Brits and Bolt Cutters
So I've been in Cape Town for a week now.  Hard to believe that the World Cup starts tomorrow and that I leave here Saturday morning!I got into Cape Town about 17 hours late, thanks to a cancel…Cape Town , hit up some wineries, attempted to cage dive with Great White sharks and toured Robben Island.  I haven…

Check Cape Town Hotel Deals