Great Wall at Simatai

Beijing, China

Great Wall at Simatai Beijing Reviews

epiphany- epiphany-
Long Walk but worth it Jun 24, 2011
The walk up is tedious and tiring, but it serves as a buildup for what is to be seen once you reach the top. On my walk up i was accompanied by some english speaking locals who were interested in talking to me, which served as an interesting experience. People will want pictures with you, ask questions, etc , so be aware and open to that. Once reaching the top you will be able to walk within the wall and appreciate the true beauty from above. Your journey up will seem irrelevant at this point. You will see a nice mix of locals and foriegners on the wall, which is something you do not see at a lot of the other attractions in Beijing.
christhomson christho…
A great section of the wall to explore Jan 25, 2011
I walked form Jin Shan Ling to Simatai and had a blast. Its about an 8km trek. The cable ride at Jin shan ling is great fun. At Simatai there might be an elderly man inviting tourists to his house nearby for a meal. DO IT! its only a 5 min walk to his place and his wife cooks the most amazing fried rice for about 10 CNY/2usd.

I hired a taxi driver to take me from Beijing (novotel hotel-near the square) to Jin Shan Ling and pick me up at Simatai for $120 US. Pretty good deal i thought seeing he spent an awful long time waiting for me.
stephanie_nl stephani…
Tip to go on the wall with only a few people Jun 29, 2011
I stayed at a hostel in Beijing and they offerd a trip to the great wall. We where picked up early in the morning taken to the wall. We had an english guide with us, the best part we where the only ones on the wall not al the other tourist..great pictures!
Leinadgnow Leinadgn…
Great wall of china Jun 24, 2008
The great wall of china is the only structure that can be seen from the moon-

Hearing so much about this wonder of the world, i had to see it for myself. Being on a 14 days tour of China around Shanghai and Suzhou, i decided to drop by Beijing and the great wall of china for 4 days. The difference in temperature at the base of the wall and on the wall was incredible, dropping by around 2 degrees. (Note to all traveling between Nov. And December do remember to bring along an extra coat even if it seems like an additional baggage.) However braving the cold was certainly worth it. The scenery was spectacular being able to see the lines at the 5th point of the wall all the way stretching into the horizon. The wall seemed endless and the thought of how much effort, manpower and materials going into this project was just incomprehensible.It got me speechless.

The magnitude/scale of the great wall of china just took my breath away.It was definitely worth the 4 days detour. To all going to China, do remember to hop down to the great wall of china. Seeing it is definitely worth your time/money.
michaelyao michaely…
fantastic tour Aug 08, 2008
simatai is a good section to visit, nice view with people-free photos. We hiked on the top of it, it took 2 and half hours. we are so lucky with the weather, it helped us to view in distance.

It said that do not climb high in rainy days, otherwise, it would be very dangerous with lightening.
AlexMcNee AlexMcNee
Jun 24, 2007
This is a must for anyone wanting to experience the 'real' wall. forget the wall nearest to beijing- it is cheap and tacky with stalls selling genuine t-shits for 10Yuan - mmmm comfy!...this part of the wall crosses 32 watch towers and you see some of the most beautiful scenery. And for those who dont like carrying your bags - women and men from the local village do the walk with you for a small fee and will carry your bags, help you up some of the crumbling stairways and generally keep you company. Most of them are local corn farmers and so they make very little money. My ladies name was Chin and she had 3 children. I was happy to carry my bag but it was nice to have a hand there for some of those steep bits. (be warned though, they do this walk about 2-3times a day every day so they are a DAM lot fitter than they look). This part of the wall has Mongolia on one side and China on the left. We finished on this part of the wall and it was defintely worth it. At the end there is a flying fox over the dam which costs i think about 30 Yuan (AUD$6?) if i remember and its a lot of fun - a boat at the bottom drops you back to the entrance but there is a nice little 2 star hotel at the end which i would recommend staying at - you have a real chinese BBQ for dinner and the atmosphere is better than the big hotels in Beijing. but it is quite modest - so dont go expecting much

I did this walk in July which is summer over there - we luckily had a week of freak Autumn weather (so temp were more low 20s rather than high 30s) and it pays off!!.. if you can get to China in Autumn it would be the best time to walk the wall (the first day we started it was high 30's and i almost fainted!)
You'll walk over all of them!
hwhit53 says:
Hi. I am planning a trip to China and was wondering if you remembered the name of the hotel? Thanks!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2007
portia portia
Apr 24, 2006
Simatai section of the Great Wall is about 2-3 hours drive (120km) from Beijing, and you should plan at least 3 hours there. It is possible to go to Jinshangling (to the west) section of the Great Wall, and hike over to Simatai. Seems like pretty serious hiking, and could take 3-4 hours just to get to Simatai. Then if you were to hike the 12 watch towers of Simatai, it could take a few more hours (up and down). But the crowds are not here (yet) due to the distance from Beijing, and the scenery is amazing. The Simatai section is known to have the steepest grades, from a distance you can see the wall on this mountain ridge, and you can't help but be amazed. The wall here is mostly like what it has been for 500 years, not restored like at Badaling. Only very small sections were repaired so you could walk safely. From the parking area, go through the ticket booth (40RMB), and then you can take the cable car (if you want to save some time and energy) for additional ticket of 50RMB round trip. Or you can start hiking. 12 towers are accessible, the "stairs to heaven" past tower 13 and beyong to the highest point is closed to tourists.
From tower 9 looking down, the res…
At the bottom of Simatai, near the…
sylviandavid says:
Great review..... sylvia
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010
mfmcp1982 mfmcp1982
A great place to experience the Great Wall - but watch our for hawkers!! Aug 17, 2004
I took an organised trip to Simatai from the SAGA Hostel in Beijing. We were driven out in a minibus for about an hour and a half - Simatai is about 12km/75 miles outside the city. When we got within sight of the Wall everyone fell silent - you truly cannot appreciate the immense scale of the Great Wall until you're at it, beside it or on it.

It costs around 40Y (£1 GBP at the time) to get into the area, and another 20Y for the cable car - so it's pretty good value! We paid our fee for the gondola - a couple of people were prepared to walk all the way up the rather major slope, but not I! The cable car took us half way up the hillside, took the funicular a bit further up and hiked to the wall itself.

I was absolutely gobsmacked. Not only by the beauty of my surroundings, but by the dogged persistence of a little Chinese woman who wanted to be my guide, sell me drinks and books and postcards and t-shirts. I was absolutely not interested in making use of her services, but she followed me a good bit of the way, picking up a friend who was selling ice cream on the way. I bought a bottle of water and an ice cream eventually and managed to give them the slip when they turned away!

Lying in the Gubeikou Town northeast of Miyun County about 120 kilometers (75 miles) from Beijing, the Simatai Great Wall stretches about five kilometers (three miles) from the Wangjinglou Tower in the east and connects to the Jinshanling Great Wall in the west. It has 35 beacon towers. Constructed under the supervision of Qi Jiguang, a famous general in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), it is the only part of the Great Walls that still has the original appearance of the Ming Dynasty.

The Simatai Great Wall is celebrated for its steepness, proportionate lack of tourists and it's intactness. The main tourist attractions include the Stairway to Heaven, the Fairy Tower, the Heaven Bridge and the Wangjinglou Tower.

There's also a zip wire back to the coach park for anyone impatient enough not to want to walk back down, which takes you over the lake. It looked great but I was happy enough walking down! Maybe if I'd been pushed for time I'd have slid! The walk itself is pretty gentle, and even on the main part of the wall you can climb as steep a section as you like and still not miss out seeing anything.

Highly Recommended - I've heard from people who went to Jinshanling that it was extremely crowded, so I'd got for Simatai everytime!
Great Wall at Simatai from Cable C…
Watchtower at Simatai
Stormclouds at Simatai
sylviandavid says:
Great review.... Sylvia
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010
Kramerdude says:
Gotta love the little old ladies... I did the Jinshanling to Simatai walk and it was amazing. One of these days will get around to that time frame in my blog...
Posted on: Aug 15, 2009
bernard69 says:
I was in Jinshanling in September 2006 and fortunately wasn't crowded:)
Posted on: Aug 15, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Great Wall at Simatai

Beijing mountain hiking
wild great wall trip Walk on the original great wall 03.02.2008 http://www.greatwall-alternative.com wild great wall trip Day 01 Pick-up from your hotel in Beijing at 7:00 .Drive 2.5 hours t…Beijing - Jiankou Great wall-Mutianyu Great Wall - Jinshanling Great Wall Pick you up from your hotel downtown Beijng at 7:00am. Arrival at jiankou section of the Great Wall

Check Beijing Hotel Deals