Great Wall - Jinshanling to Simatai

Great Wall - Jinshanling to Simatai Reviews

hrjones86 hrjones86
Great 1 Day Hiking Tour Jul 19, 2011
I looked into some day trip tours to see the Great Wall and to go hiking. I was dreading the throngs of tourists and vendors so I was looking for something a little less intrusive. Also without the compulsory shopping they usually take you on.

I came across some tour options through Beijing Downtown Backpackers.

I booked the trip and accomodation through them and took the quick trip from Cangzhou to Beijing.

I honestly have to say I was so pleasantly surprised. The part of the wall we hiked (6km) was void of all throngs of tourists and vendors. We met three small groups coming the opposite way from Simatai and apart from that we had the wall to ourselves. It was sensational.

There were vendors at the beginning and old ladies who persisted in following us most of the way but they were lovely and quite entertaining as they could speak a little English. I didn't want any of their souveneirs, so a 20Y tip and they were on their way.

The guide was helpful and answered any questions.

The hike itself was fairly difficult during some parts but easy enough for a less than moderately fit person such as myself.

I would reccomend this to anyone.

I would also reccomend staying at Beijing Downtown to come. THey were so helpful and the hostel was great. Beds were excellent and the bathroom was clean and nice. Breakfast was included and we got picked up by the bus at 8:30 for our three hour bus ride outside of Beijing.

Great trip!