Great Wall Chinese Restaurant

(831) 372-3637

Great Wall Chinese Restaurant Pacific Grove Reviews

cari cari
Jul 17, 2006
Every time John and I visit Monterey, he asks to visit this place. And if John and I both like it (he's vegan, I'm a carnivore - and picky) then it must be good.The decor is modest, so it's not the place to go if you're into see-and-be-seen. But the food is good, the selection is VAST, and there's this really bizarre painting of horses on the wall that creeps me out every time I look at it (often). There's also a model train that runs on a special track that encircles the room about a foot or two down from the celing. Like most restaurants on the Monterey peninsula, the theme is ambiguous but the people well-intentioned.So we've established that it's a little offbeat, but I'd venture to say that the cuisine is reasonably authentic. Having never been to China, I guess I can't say for sure, but I can tell you that it's no Panda Express. I always have the chicken fried rice, which has always been good to me, but I've tried the spring rolls (excellent) and some of the noodle dishes.Although there is no children's menu, it's pretty kid-friendly given the immense selection. The train doesn't hurt, either. And it's definitely a good place for vegetarians and vegans. I've never heard any complaints from anyone about this restaurant, although I still wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for a classy night out. If you're in the market for an upscale, fancy dinner, I recommend Passionfish, The White Houe, or any of the various fisheries along the water. A general rule of thumb: if you can hear the waves from the table, it's probably an upscale joint. But only two or three blocks inland, Great Wall has great Chinese food for a fraction of the cost.

Check Pacific Grove Hotel Deals