Great Sand Dunes National Park and Reserve

Colorado, United States

Great Sand Dunes National Park and Reserve Reviews

powellmm powellmm
A Colorado Masterpiece Aug 19, 2012
If you like the outdoors, Colorado during the summer is a perfect place for you. One of the gems of this wonderful state is the Great Sand Dunes near Alamosa. I have visited twice and each time I enjoy it more and more. I do not believe there is anywhere else in the world where you will find sand dunes nestled against the back drop of spectacular mountains. It is a wonderful site and provides a pretty good workout for anyone that ventures up the dunes. A piece of advice is if you plan on walking up the dunes I suggest you go early in the morning. As the sun beats down on the sand it warms it up and starts burning your feet which makes it harder to made it up the dunes.
Great Sand Dunes from afar.
Great Sand Dunes from the creek.
Hiking up the sand dunes.
ecmason ecmason
And then all of a sudden...big ass sand dunes May 22, 2010
At one point during a somewhat circuitous cross-country road trip across the US (St. Louis - Seattle via New England), I was driving south from Denver to the Southern border of Colorado. I saw on the map the "Sand Dunes National Monument" (it was a monument back then) and my friend and I both thought it sounded kind of interesting especially as there was no sand anywhere in the area. As we drove closer, there were lots of mountains but no desert. Finally, we were almost on the place, and then out of no where a mini desert appeared with giant sand dunes over 700 feet tall.

That afternoon we went for a hike on the dunes. The sand was initially very hot, but as night came on and the sand cooled, we removed our shoes and continued to walk up and down the dunes. The sand was fantastic on my feet, soft and very fine. At the peaks, I could see for miles at the moonlit outlines of mountains, hills, dunes, and plains that made up the horizon. I laid on my back for a few hours looking at the stars, which added to the dream like quality of the whole situation.

The next morning, I woke up from the picnic table I was sleeping on and thought I saw a short person in a bear costume rustling around in the next campsite. As my head cleared from the sleep, I realized it wasn't a costume at all, it was a black bear...which was pretty, darn awesome.
Colorado Map