Great Eastern Chinese Restaurant (Chinatown)

649 Jackson St, San Francisco, CA, USA

Great Eastern Chinese Restaurant (Chinatown) San Francisco Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
good food, great service, affordable price Jul 10, 2013
It was passed 9:00 p.m. when we passed by Chinatown San Fran, most restaurants in this Chinese neighborhood are closed usually around this time.

The main factor for Great Eastern is that it is open until midnight!

The parking is usually a challenge but if you go to Chinatown at passed 9:00 p.m. the street parking are mostly open. And if you park into one of those paid by the hour parking garage, you could get parking validation from the restaurant.

The dining hall is quite large, and they have big round dining tables that could accommodate several groups of people.

The ambiance and attire is casual so noise level is average. The place is definitely kid-friendly.

Price range is affordable or average.

Service was fast, waiters are not the friendliest, but they were attentive and helpful.

The restrooms downstairs are clean.

We ordered vegetable fried rice, steamed chicken (similar to Singapore Steamed Chicken), stir-fry vegetables (snow peas and chestnut) with garlic sauce and a sesame chicken. The Singapore steamed chicken and the stir fried vegies were both fantastic! A pot of hot tea were served while waiting for our food.

We did not finish our food so we had the leftover at home, next day they were just as tasty and good.

On our way out we saw some photos of Obama on the front walls, of him carrying “to-go” bags. We did not notice this until we had to leave.
some larterns at the streets of Ch…
entrance to the restaurant
dining hall
menu card
sylviandavid says:
Nice review..... Sounds like a nice place...
Posted on: Jul 26, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Cho: yes, try it! Its not so bad!

Brian: really, wow that is nice! I will look at that blog!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2013
spocklogic says:
I ate here in Y2K. I was actually looking for another restaurant at the time (a small place my brother recommended), but was unable to find it, so I wound up here. The food was good back then too. See my blog (http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/100116/City-Bay-Y2K-13) where I mention this restaurant... Anyway (regarding this place) I second the recommendation!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2013