Great Barrier Reef

Cairns, Australia

Great Barrier Reef Cairns Reviews

drmorrisj drmorrisj
Great time at the Great Barrier Reef Nov 08, 2012
Ooo lah lah! We landed at Cairns, dumped our stuff at the hotel and went looking for the catamaran so we would not miss it in the morning.

The next day we were the first in line for the catamaran. We were excited to be headed towards the Great Barrier Reef. When we got to our first destination, they gave us wetsuits ($10 USD), goggles, and cheap snorkel gear. When I jumped into the water it took me 5 minutes to catch my breath. I was in shock, because I had never snorkeled in the open ocean. The waves were huge and intimidating.

Finally, I calmed down and started taking pictures with my brand new GoPro camera that I especially purchased for this trip. The GBR was awesome to see, but there was a storm the day before so the water was not as clear as it could have been (see pictures).

By the way, one of the highlights of this trip was the fact that I got the shot I had been trying to get for years: half water, half sky (see pictures)! THANK YOU GOPRO!

After snorkeling for an hour or so I was dog-tired and went back to the boat for some grub. The food was very good. I actually had a little rice (which is unlike me as I am a low carb guy) which probably helped me for the second part of a wonderful day in the GBR.

The second part of the snorkeling was done near an atoll. There I saw a small sandy colored stingray. We also saw some very large fish that we did not see when we jumped into the water (the second time I figured out that the people on the boat had thrown fish-food into the water to elicit this effect).

The Great Barrier Reef was a lot of fun! I highly recommend it.
Hanging loose at the GBR!
Action photo.
This is on the back cover of the b…
Spreadshot
Africancrab says:
I should like to do this.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2012
tjwood tjwood
Truly Amazing Adventure Mar 16, 2012
I took the Passions of Paradise tour from the harbour Terminal out of Cairns, Australia. It was recommended by the hostel I stayed in.

Signing up the day before and check in where easy. The crew is very friendly and helpful. You are given the safety briefing from the beginning and then another depending on snorkeling or diving.

Snorkeling is included in the price of the tour, but the sting suit is not. Diving is extra, so is beer, soda and other drinks. Lunch is included and a very nice setup it is for lunch.

You get to snorkel/dive in two different locations. Lunch served in between. I saw some amazing items in the coral and favorite had to be either the brain coral or the large purple clam. Lots of fish, but no sharks :-(

If are in Australia find the time to go do this somewhere, according to what I have recently read the Great Barrier Reef is disappearing. I am personally glad I took the time after being told by friends I should do it!.
Brain Coral
That is me!
Fish feeding on coral
Cool looking clam
richch richch
A Reef of colour and magnificence. Apr 14, 2011
There are many words that come into my head when I first stuck my head under the water and glanced upon the coral reef.

Breathtaking, magnificent, awe-inspiring.

The Great Barrier Reef is 60km off the coast of Australia and visiting it is a must. Snorkeling through the myriad of colourful, exuberant species of fish and marine life allows you to see some of Australia's not so infamous

inhabitants.

If you have not snorkeled before, it is quite easy to learn but you do need to be quite a fairly profiecient swimmer in order to get the most out the reef.

Word of warning: although the reef is great, the journey there by boat can be very bumpy and is not the best for those suffering from sea sickness.
Me and Wally the fish.
bobfromoz bobfromoz
Great Barrier Reef Mar 13, 2011
I know this has been reviewed to death, but the great barrier reef is frickin amazing! I cannot believe it took me so long to see it when it has been right on my doorstep my whole life!

Scuba diving the great barrier reef is a must for everyone at least once in their life. Unfortunately it is being loved to death though. Make sure you use a reputable agency who protects the reef as it is a national marine park. Pro Dive cairns offers great beginner packages with o/n onboard stays out on the reef.

Sharks, rays, coral, nemos, whales, nemos...you name it and it is there! Absolutely worth ever dollar.
Matdtc Matdtc
Pretty nice snorkeling Mar 26, 2011
I did a tour for the great barrier reef, of course. The tour i did was a very small one, but it was definitley worth it. it wasnt too expensive and it wasnt even close to being overcrowded. the staff was awesome, and we got closer to the reef than all the other big boats. I cant remember the name of the tour group, but if you do it, go for the smaller groups, theyre better
hawkeye372 hawkeye3…
Jul 20, 2007
I had a great experience not only swimming in but also flying over the great barrier reef. I saw many sharks and other sea life. However the helicopter ride was about $500.00. It was well worth this once in a lifetime experience. I just found out that next yr. I will be back visiting the ausi land again. But this time my visits will be the other side. Including perth and melbourne, along with the great city of sydney. I visited sydney the time we went to the great barrier reef. Now I can say I've been to both sides of the down under land.

The only bad part was while we were on the cruise , at the last minute we found out from fellow passengers, that this cruise was continuing to new Zealand. But it was to late to change travel plans. This will be another trip sometime in the future.
Sunflower300 says:
It’s great to see someone else appreciates our great southern land
Posted on: Aug 10, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Great Barrier Reef

Updated: Escaping to the Land Down Under 2011
Well I have just come back from my 3rd visit to Australia in the last 5 years and I wanted to update my blog as many things have changed and there are a few different things I would suggest from my p…Great Barrier Reef   Cairns great place to do snorkeling or diving. This is where I learned to dive and 5 years…
Cape Tribulation & The Great Barrier Reef
Cairns is the tourism mecca of Australia, with the most obvious infrastructure I have seen, not only in Australia, but perhaps anywhere. Every other shop is a travel or excursion agent and in-betwe…Great Barrier Reef .   We were picked up in a 4x4 by our enjoyable guide who reminded me of Shane Warne, but thin, and set off down Captain Cook Highway…
Cairns...
I have to admit that Cairns was pretty uneventful for me. After spending a month travelling the east coast of Australia I just wanted to chill out, take time out from the alcohol and relax. That didn…Great Barrier Reef, Cairns. Two nights was enough for me on Magnetic Island because there was not really that much…

Check Cairns Hotel Deals