Greasewood Flat

(480) 585-9430

Greasewood Flat Scottsdale Reviews

Amanda Amanda
Jun 09, 2007
I have some very exciting plans for the late fall - some of the people that I love best in this world will all be getting on planes from different points on the globe - Mexico, London, Sydney... and heading to Phoenix Arizona to join me for 9 fabulous days of fun both here in Arizona and in Las Vegas, and to experience a real American Thanksgiving. Guests to include fellow Travbuddy Lisalush, my great friend Dario who I share my profile pic with, and my favorite Nomad and Poker player extraordinaire Ryan (Travbuddy name belikin).

When you have this kind of amazing group coming in, you start thinking early - what do you want to show them in your town? What is the best example of your local culture? What is that unique experience that they will take home with them when they leave??

These questions have led me to a lot of thoughts of Greasewood Flat. In the Phoenix Arizona area, it's the answer to questions like these - and where I'll be taking Lis, Dario, and Ryan that first night.

A local landmark for about 30 years, it's a little drive outside of town, through some great desert sceanery and up a mountain - so it's cooler up there than it is down in the valley. Cooler enough, in fact, that it's downright cold in the winter - and being an outdoor locale, you need to dress warmly in winter months! But you are well rewarded when you get there by the many pit fires they have burning to greet you.

This is a favorite hang out for two very unlikely groups; bikers and cowboys. There are also old dogs roaming around, and sometimes the odd small pig - although I'm at a loss to tell you why. It's an odd place.

It's basically a large outdoor dirt area with the fire pits, long picnic tables, and a bandstand where country bands play.

They serve libations and food; it's a limited menu, but in my opinion that's part of their strength. They know what they do well, and they stick to it. A good selection of cold beer in bottles, and a various supply of hot dogs and hamburgers - the specialty being their famous "Half pound bacon green chile cheese burger". You order your food inside an ancient bunkhouse, wait for them to call your number that it's ready, then settle in with the hundred new friends at the long picnic tables to eat, drink, be merry, and enjoy the band.

It's the perfect example of what Arizona has to offer, and what makes us unique. I would recommend it to all, and look forward to sharing it with my friends in November!
The entrance to Greasewood Flat; "…
The main area of Greasewood Flat -…
crazychica87 says:
Oh man, I'm from Phoenix and I don't even know about this place!!! I've been wondering what places in Phoenix I would like to show off... Thanks for the review, Amanda!
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007
Amanda says:
hmmmmm.... and what kind of bars might those be, Dougal? Anything you want to share with the class?
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007
dougal says:
Cowboys and Bikers? Sounds like some bars I know of...
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007