Grasshopper Restaurant

22 Albert St, Auckland, New Zealand

Grasshopper Restaurant Auckland Reviews

DAO DAO
Top Thai Feb 09, 2017
If you like Thai food, you will love the Grasshopper. The second I walked inside this very nice and tranquil restaurant I knew I would enjoy my meal. I was greeted by one of the Thai staff who showed our party to a large table near one of the internal bamboo thickets that are located in several parts of this large restaurant. My chair was so comfortable I almost fell asleep after a long and hot day. A cold beer was quickly served up and I grew accustomed to the slightly dim lighting and nice décor. You really leave the hustle and bustle of the streets of Auckland when you come inside this restaurant. It looked and felt a bit like a nice spa.

The Grasshopper was a pioneer in the introduction of Thai Cuisine to Auckland and New Zealand. Today there are many other Thai eateries, but to be here for 20 years, the Grasshopper delivers quality and service year after year. They even have cooking classes you can take. The students produce a full banquet of dishes and then eat everything with matching wines for each dish. Sounds like fun to me.

We all ordered from their Banquet Menu for $40 ($27 US) per person. I enjoyed:

• Grilled chicken satay with homemade peanut sauce

• Tom Yum Gai soup. A chicken and potato soup flavoured with lemongrass and coriander

• Chicken with green curry, coconut milk, green beans, basil, vegetables and eggplant

• Several cold draft New Zealand beers