Granville Island

Vancouver, Canada

Granville Island Vancouver Reviews

ola3rd ola3rd
Lovely Time at Granville! Jul 30, 2012
Lovely time at Granville Island, even though didn't get to spend as much time there as I wanted. Took the ferry to get there, then walked around for a bit. Its one of those must do touristy things in Vancouver. There are little markets to check out, street performers, and of course the brewery where you can take a mini tour. I really wanted to do the beer tour but unfortunately it only happens about 5 times a day and there is a limited amount of people that can go on it at a time. Will probably go there next time.

Highly recommend to check Granville out on a nice sunny day, if visiting Vancouver for the first time.
aussiegurl12 aussiegu…
A 'must see' place in Vancouver Jun 10, 2011
Granville Island is definitely a 'must see' location in Vancouver. It is a short bus ride (bike ride/walk/ferry) from downtown and has something for everyone.

It has a great market with everything from fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, seafood to arts and crafts and locally made products.

There are also heaps of smaller shops to browse and is a great place to buy souvenirs or gifts.

It is a great place to take photos and on a sunny day you can sit back and relax in the sunshine. If you choose to eat outside just beware of the hungry birds that will try to steal your food off your plate...

Granville Island Brewery is worth a stop to sample some of the local beers.

Granville Island has it all - Great Shops, Restaurants, Cafes, Entertainment, Scenery!!!!!!
annalam99 annalam99
Granville Island - Great Half Day Trip Apr 16, 2011
If you have half a day to spend in Vancouver, visit Granville Island. It's full of funky shops and fresh food. It's a great day to spend half a day to explore this tiny island.

Transportation

Easily accessible by bus from downtown Vancouver
amanDeeZee amanDeeZ…
Waterfront Market Apr 13, 2011
Granville Island Public Market is a great way to spend the day. It is a food market and art space. There are many different studio/shops to explore. Great place to grab lunch. Check out the beautiful house boats. I also really suggest taking either the Aquabus or False Creek Ferries. Its 3-6 dollars to go on a mini boat ride across the water. Great on a nice sunny day!
travelman727 says:
Nice review and good advice :-) I LOVE Granville Island!
Posted on: May 21, 2011
shana_81 shana_81
Great place to spend the day... Oct 12, 2008
My husband and I stopped by Granville Island in early September when we were visiting Vancouver. It was a short ferry ride from our hotel, which allowed us to spend some time on the water and get some great photo shots of Vancouver. The Island itself was so much fun to see. There's a great indoor food market, filled with fresh fruits, veggies, and little "fast food type" restaurants. Other building housed little stores (if you're interested in it, there was an AMAZING stationary store that had the best travel journals, stationary, papers, ribbons, wrappings and more). Our personal favorite places were the "kids" building (there were fun little toy stores with all kinds of stuffed animals, as well as an arcade and a mini candy store) and the Granville Island brewery. If you like beer, be sure to stop by here! It took us about 10 min to score a table to drink at, but it was worth the wait. The only downside we had was that the restaurants on the Island were VERY expensive, even for lunch. Instead, we grabbed a snack at the brewery and ate dinner as soon as we got back from the Island. Plan on spending at least 6 hours there...there is sooo much to see! Enjoy!
peppertm peppertm
Aug 06, 2007
Granville Island is one of my favourite places to go when in Vancouver, and I try to go every time I’m there, even if it’s just to visit my aunt, whose office is there. The whole atmosphere is really laid-back and relaxing, and is a great place to just hang out. Granville Island is a neighbourhood consisting of parks, offices, a public market, art school, shops, restaurants, theatres, galleries and hotels. It’s great to go and walk around, interacting with all the people and looking at all the kiosks, and food stalls full of fresh fruits and vegetables, meats and fishes, and other different foods. It’s one of my favourite places to go for lunch because you’re almost guaranteed to find something that will suit your taste buds. My aunt and I visited on a sunny afternoon, sometime around lunch, and it was packed with visitors and tourists and people that work in the area. We went into the public market and looked at all the vendors selling their products, also keeping an eye out for what we were going to eat for lunch. I settled on Mexican, she settled on Russian. It was so good, and inexpensive. We took our food outside and sat at a table overlooking the water, and basked in the sunshine, enjoying our meal. It was a great afternoon, as it was warm, and only had fluffy, white clouds in the sky. We watched the aquabus go back and forth with tourists taking rides on it. We also watched the hundreds of seagulls try and sneak food from all the lunchtime patrons. It was lovely.

Outside, on the deck of the public market, is a little performance area, complete with bleacher-like steps for the audience to sit on. On a day as nice as the one we had when we were at Granville Island, you’re almost guaranteed to encounter some kind of show happening. The day we were there was no exception. Although I don’t know what it was about, the audience was a having a great time, as evidenced by their loud laughter. Once done our lunch, we decided to continue our journey around the area, browsing all the stalls, and working off the food we had just eaten so we could go back for dessert J. After awhile, we figured it was time to get an ice cream cone, which we enjoyed in the same place where we had eaten our lunch. The same seagulls were still there, mooching off the visitors, and trying to escape the children that thought it was funny to chase them. It was really funny to see.

The one drawback to the area is the lack of parking. On a nice day, it is nearly impossible to find parking, so if you drive, make sure you drive slow, and be ready to pounce if you see a spot open up. More likely than not you will end up parking in some kind of paid-parking garage. We ended up doing this, but the nice thing about it was that it was patrolled, so we had the ease of mind that someone was watching what was going on in that area.
Welcome to Granville Island
Granville Island
THe market
The market. I wonder what he was …
MedKate MedKate
Jun 16, 2007
If you're looking for a lazy afternoon in the sun, why not go to Granville Island? It's not really an island as it's connected to the mainland, but it sure has that feel because there's water almost all round.

You can get there by foot, bus or miniboat.

Once there, take the time to walk all round the island, it's a leisurely half hour or so, you'll see the boat houses on the way. Every month or so they change positions so that each boat house gets to be on the edge at least part of the year.

Then there are the nice little souvenir and artists shops. You can watch the glass blowers at work, their art is spectacular. And if you're feeling peckish, the market serves the freshest everything that's available in Vancouver.

Insider tidbit: Vancouver is on a fault line. Granville Island and Richmond will be the first to go when the Big One hits. But for now it's a pleasant artist community.

Related Travel Blogs About Granville Island

Day one Opening Ceremonies
Today I was woken up by the sound of helicopters at 6am.  I live in downtown Vancouver so hearing loud sounds and even the odd helicopter is not unusual but not normally at this time of the morn…Vancouver landmark called Granville Island and I had forgotten the Torch was going to be run onto the the island
Starting in Vancouver
This was my first time i'd gone so far away from home, so there was a mixture of excitment and being very very scared! I went with my friend that had lived out in Canada till she was 5, so we were ve…Vancouver we also visited Granville Island, which was formly a industrial area which was changed in to a tourist attraction…

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals