Grange Lodge Hotel

Grange Lodge Hotel Rates and Deals

Grange Lodge Hotel Saint Peter Port Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A really cozy place with great service Jun 13, 2011
I had actually booked a different hotel on the island but they day before my arrival I got a call from them that my room had a water damage and they had been forced to rebook me at another hotel. They were naturally sad about this but they were sure that I would be pleased with the booking they had made for me at the Grange Lodge Hotel. They sent me the hotel details on my email so I had a possibility to find it.

I had hoped that I could rent a car on Guernsey but it was impossible due to the weather, they said, all their cars were on the road. I therefore took a taxi from the airport. The guy driving was really friendly and I told him about the rebooking and he said that I had gotten a better deal so I was happy even before I came to my hotel.

It turned out that The Grange Lodge Hotel was built as a private house back in 1815 and the house had stayed in the same family’s hands until the Mansell family bought it in 1930s. Since then it has all the time been run as aparthotel except during the German occupation, where the hotel was used as the headquarters for the German Feld Kommandant.

They hotel was situated in a nice neighbourhood but it looked a bit worn down from outside compared to its very posh neighbours. Well inside the hotel was really cozy; I went for the reception where there were two persons, one being the daily manager and one the receptionist. The receptionist quickly handled all my paperwork and gave me the key for room 9 on the second floor. The manager briefly talked to me and told me that there was both a bar and a restaurant in the hotel, I just had to pass the little door at the end of the hall. When she talked I was reminded of the British comedy series Allo Allo because she spoke English in the same way as the French women from there. I almost cracked, it sounded so great.

I found my room on the second floor; it was the last in the corner of the top floor. When I entered I was quite pleased. The room was large, much larger than I had anticipated. The room was bright but old fashion in the furniture, which I don’t mind. The bed was enormous and it turned out to great to sleep in too. I had a view over the city of St. Peter Port and I was also able to see the water because the hotel was situated at one of the high points of the city.

I quickly had myself installed and walked down to check out the restaurant not expecting too much, but I was really surprised. The restaurant was quite large and there were loads of people and many of them local, which always is a good sign. The bar was quite long as well and there was a good ambiance in the place too. The food was exquisite and I really enjoyed my meal there and the local beers that they also served.

The next morning I had a wonderful breakfast in the hotel as well; it was one of the better ones I had in long time. The breakfast was served in a huge dining room overlooking a beautiful garden and the place just kept on growing on me. The staffs were all really sweet and friendly; many of them were Polish. I would most certain come back to this hotel.
The room
The bed
The bed
The flower sofa
Chokk says:
This might even be a older hotel than the ones that you have been staying at - but I found it cosy - and they had a pub as well

Guernsey and Jersey are not for young people ;)
Posted on: Aug 06, 2012
poisongirl13666 says:
Haven't stayed here yet, but maybe next time I go there, sounds a lot better then the Peninsula where we are staying now. Once in a while or company changes the hotel, so we don't have to stay in the same place all the time.
Posted on: Aug 06, 2012