Grand View Sapa

Sapa, Vietnam

Grand View Sapa Reviews

maurice_129 maurice_…
DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Dec 02, 2012
I am a 23 yr old female from Manchester, UK and have travelled independently through Europe and Asia, lived in the USA and Australia and am currently travelling through Vietnam with a friend. We have travelled up from the south and decided to take a tour to Sapa before heading to Thailand. We booked the tour through an agent in Hoi An, and after a few teething problems were on our way. The train journey to Sapa is fairly comfortable and the ride up through the mountains to the village is a little hair raising but with magnificent views. We did a 3 day 2 night tour and paid $125USD which is over priced, but the trekking itself is enjoyable. The first day was quite short, downhill all the way to Cat Cat village where you see a waterfall and traditional dancing, and then back up which isnt too strenuous, in total around 3-4 hours. The second day was much better, a longer walk (mostly downhill or flat) through villages, great scenery. So on the whole the tour was worth doing, if overpriced (the couple we met paid $99USD pp). However, hotel in which we stayed was an experience like no other...for all the wrong reasons. The rooms were not bad but nothing like the pictures, a bit run down and cold; my duvet felt damp with cold and I struggled to get warm at night. As part of the tour we had breakfast, lunch and dinner on both days, and the trips to the restaurant got progressively worse. On the first breakfast we ordered pancakes and omelette. The pancakes were doughy and the omelette very oily. At lunch and dinner we were served the same things - rice, tofu, steamed veg (oily), omelette and meat. There were no choices, we were brought the dishes and they were the same each day. We saw other tables being served fresher looking vegetables, and upon asking if we could have those, we were told that we were told no, as we were on the cheap tour, the others paid a higher price. I dont know how much they paid seeing as we were overcharged! We had to ask for more at every sitting as they didnt bring enough for all of us, and when we asked for more tofu we were told there was none, however it was still being served to the others on the "more expensive" tour. On the final day we had come back from trekking and had 1 hour in which to have lunch before the bus would take us back to our train. In the first half an hour we were served only 1 portion of tofu and 1 rice between 4 people. We had to remind them several times that we were still waiting, all the while 2 big parties of people on the expensive tour were being brought dish after dish. Finally they brought a serving of pork (just by itself, no veg/rice and for 1 person as the other 3 were vegetarians as they knew). I found a clump of what could only have been pig hair stuck to one of the pieces of pork. We called the waiter over and showed him and he took it back to the kitchen. I followed him to the kitchen hatch and found both the waiter and the chef laughing at the pig hair. It was safe to say I was furious by this point, and demanded to know what they thought was funny about the situation - the chef then tried to tell me that there was nothing on it. I told him not to lie and I thought it was disgusting. At that point one of the reception staff came over and I explained the situation and said that we each wanted a can of drink and some fruit that we would have had with dessert to take away as it was now approaching the time we had to get the bus. He agreed and then dissapeared, then return (with nothing) and the - by this point - incredibly angry chef who started shouting at my friend in Vietnamese, telling the reception guy that he shouldnt give us anything. A full blown argument ensued, whereby they started telling us that we were bad people, that they knew we were bad people from the moment we arrived at the hotel and that we should never visit Vietnam again. More shouting, more staff getting involved and everyone refusing to give us the (megre) compensation that they had previously agreed to after having found foreign objects in the meal. They told us that the bus had arrived and if we didnt leave right away they were going to tell the bus to leave without us. No apology, absolutely no customer service and not one person ready to listen, see our point of view or resolve the situation. We left feeling that the trip was ruined and that we could not wait to leave Sapa - and Vietnam completely! The trekking was nice and we had had a lovely day up to that point. The scenery is beautiful, and it really is worth a trip, but DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!
halilee says:
Congrats on the feature review.. sorry you didn't have a good stay. I would have to agree with Jen-yeosc though in that the price for all that was included seems actually quite cheap.
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Hey, congrats on your featured review!!
trippin_jen says:
Nice writeup! I could feel your anger and frustration. Is the hotel part of the tour package? Then usd 125 is quite cheap for 2 nights+meals+bus+tour+train... Anyway, congrats on being featured!
Sapa Map