Grand Royal

Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Grand Royal - My room
Grand Royal - My bathroom
Grand Royal - Hotel Royal Grand
Grand Royal - The entrance to Hotel Royal Grand. Dubious massage parlour is not part of hotel.

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals

Grand Royal Kathmandu Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
A royal dump Oct 11, 2010
Upon returning to Kathmandu after my trek I didn't have any accommodation booked. As we were walking through Thamel I decided to check out the Yeti Guest Home, where I stayed earlier (see my review). However, as we entered we were approached by a tout who recommended the Grand Royal to us. Now I don't generally listen to touts recommendations (as in: not ever), but it was late and we needed a place to stay, so we checked it out.

At first sight it seemed decent enough. Large beds, clean(ish) and private bathrooms in the rooms for a bargain price (3 Euro for single, 5 Euro for double).

However, one should never let the wallet decide on where to sleep. The beds were horribly uncomfortable, the showers had no hot water, the toilet didn't flush, but worst of all: the noise. My room overlooked Thamel Road, which meant that until 4 AM I had to listen to drunk people singing in the streets and starting at 5 AM the sound shopkeepers opening the iron shutters of their shops. Had the bed been any more comfortable I might have been able to sleep through this, but alas.

It's also the only place I stayed at in Kathmandu that didn't have Wi-Fi.

So my recommendation: stay away! There are many (many many) hotels in Thamel, so only stay here if all else fails.
My room
My bathroom
Hotel Royal Grand
The entrance to Hotel Royal Grand.…
sarahsan says: