Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Rates and Deals

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Playa del Carmen Reviews

christine4321 christin…
Grand Riviera Princess Nov 05, 2012
We couldn't resist another trip to The Riviera Maya, Mexico as we had a wonderful trip last year and the price was just too attractive this year for this hotel.

This time my husband and I went with my brother, his wife and two of their children.

The trip was booked online with Trip Central who was selling it for West Jet Vacations. The price for this 5 star all inclusive trip began at $864 but as people booked the price went up. I bought it just a couple of days after first researching it and paid $932 per person, of course 2 days later I was sent an email and the price went down again. My brother and his family paid $982 per person.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful with marble throughout the lobbies, shops,restaurants and rooms.

The room we stayed in was average and had a very comfortable king size bed, a stocked fridge, flat screen TV and coffee maker. The rooms did not have a clock anywhere what so ever and we were thankful to have our Iphones just to check the time. We could not even find the time on the television set. Premium channels including HBO was included. If you have allergies it is best to bring your own Kleenex or tissue as none was provided and we only had toilet paper to use.

The bathroom was large, all marble and had a separate shower and a separate toilet area.

The grounds were beautifully manicured. I was a bit concerned about passing some of the landscape workers as they were swinging machetes to trim hedges and trees quite close to the sidewalks, I was afraid that if one slipped out of their hand it may cleave a guest's skull. I will have to write in about that. As a nurse I have seen many freak accidents.

The beach was pretty far from most of the buildings so they had a motorized shuttle cart pass every 20 minutes to take guests to and from the beach. My brother and his family had rooms on the other side of the resort and every time they stepped out either to and from the water the cart seemed to be passing. We on the other hand were not quite so lucky. Out of all the days going to the beach we may have caught the cart a total of 3 times! Just bad timing I guess.

We chose to pay a fee of $10.25 each daily to relax on a private section of the beach at the onsite Chill Out Restaurant which provided personal drink service. This section had teak furniture with foam cushions that were stored indoors nightly, so no need to worry about bird poop!

There were also cabanas at Chill Out with double loungers but they filled fast. The head waiter went above and beyond when providing service to his guests. We needed to exchange our towels and were not sure where to go so he took them from us and went to get us clean ones himself. Another great waitress here was named Perla. It seemed that when we were taking our last couple of sips of our drinks there she was ready to take our next order. She seemed quite reserved but towards the end of the week we had the pleasure of learning a little bit about her.

The buffet food was average and offered a wide range of items. They had theme nights such as Italian, Seafood and Tex Mex. Some of the waiters and waitresses were great but I must say that attention to detail and service at Barcelo Beach Resort was superior to that of this resort. The house wine offered was not to our liking so we chose to order bottled premium wines instead.

We visited 3 of the 7 a la cart restaurants on site all requiring reservations.

The Italian restaurant was called Mama Mia and everyone in our group was quite happy with their dinner. The food was excellent and I ordered the Crusted Parmesan Chicken with Pesto Penne which was absolutely delicious. The service here was excellent.

The Chinese restaurant had amazing service as well and the food very flavourful.

I do not recall the name of the Steakhouse Restaurant but I was not fond of it. The steak was a huge T-Bone but I think it was pan fried instead of flame broiled. I enjoy a good steak but the size of it seemed to turn me off. I enjoy meat in small portions as apposed to extra large. This steak I am sure was over a pound and was unseasoned. Everyone else at our table was very happy with the food.

The entertainment was very good. They had a few different things going on nightly. One evening we enjoyed listening to a classic rock band who played a variety of songs some which included music from The Doors, Steppen Wolf, and The Rolling Stones.

They had an early Bingo Night, Dj's and even invited vendors to set up a Market Place on Wednesday evenings.

A disco was available in the theater several nights a week after other early activities.

Daily activities offered included such things as Archery, Rifle Shooting and Movies. I can't recall all the activities available but they were numerous.

We rented jet skis on the beach for 1/2 hour periods at the cost of $65 which was fun. This activity can be hard on your back if one doesn't use their legs to help absorb the shock when landing after hitting a wave.

The hotel has a shuttle that takes people into town from noon until 5 daily but reservations must be made the day before.

We rented a car from the onsite car rental agency for $65 a day to go into Playa Del Carmen. I wanted to do this last year but we did other activities and time didn't allow it.

My husband was tired that day so I assured him that he could relax and take it easy while I did the driving. Sadly after we did all the paper work and went out to the car only then did we realize that it had a manual transmission. I know how to drive a stick shift but haven't done so since I was a teenager so my husband thought it best that he drive and I navigate.

I was surprised to see that this small town included a Walmart Superstore. The price of merchandise was comparable to that of Walmarts here in Canada.

Playa Del Carmen is a very busy little town with the main shopping area being on 5th Avenue. Prepare to be bombarded with invitations into every store and restaurant that you pass. We were offered everything from sunglasses to cigars and even hash! Everyone did seem quite friendly here with a laid back attitude and we felt quite safe.

My brother and his family were not happy with the tour that they booked to Chichen Itza. It was $130 per person and included a boxed lunch but it was a 3 hour drive there and back taking up half of their excursion. They felt hounded by merchants and there wasn't a bit of shade around. The tour was offered through Best Day, a West Jet partner and the van was small with bench seating. People near the air conditioning were too cold and wanted the temperature adjusted but those who were away from the vents were too hot and wanted it cooler. It was a no win situation for all. Guests were finally relieved when they all were offered a cool swim in an underground cavern. They left the hotel at 7 am and did not return until 7:30 pm.

I would definitely return to this hotel.
oops, this was at Barcelo.
Barcelo Beach Resort

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Overview

This modern hotel in Playa del Carmen is located nearby to many of the area’s attractions, including the beaches. The Grand Riviera Princess Resort & Spa Playa del Carmen is also nearby to many of the area’s attractions, including restaurants and shops. Guests of the Grand Riviera Princess Resort & Spa Playa del Carmen can easily access the hotel by car, and they can also get around town on foot.

The rooms of this modern hotel can enjoy plenty of modern amenities, including cable televisions, minibars with water, soft drinks, and beer, computer dataports, air conditioning and ceiling fans. Each room in the Grand Riviera Princess Resort & Spa Playa del Carmen also has a coffee maker and a private balcony or terrace overlooking the beautiful area.

The Grand Riviera Princess Resort & Spa Playa del Carmen offers guests an on-site restaurant, which offers local cuisine around the clock. The hotel also offers a swimming pool with a poolside grill and bar, a fitness center, and a spa where guests can enjoy plenty of services. The hotel also offers a club for teenagers, planned activities each day and night, and an on-site bar where guests can order drinks and relax each evening. The hotel offers guests 24-hour room service and concierge services. For fun, guests can enjoy beach volleyball, non-motorized and motorized waters ports, water aerobics classes, a diving center, and a children’s center.

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Amenities

• Water Activities
  • Billiards
  • Playground
  • Volleyball
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Beach Soccer and Volleyball
  • Steam Bath
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower