Grand Puncak Sari

Jalan Raya Penelokan, Kintamani, Indonesia

Grand Puncak Sari Kintamani Reviews

shasya shasya
Worth a visit if only just for the view Jan 11, 2009
I have been to Bali a couple of times and never got the chance to visit Kintamani, eventhough it is listed as the "must do" agenda for almost every tour available in Bali.

The promises of fresh mountain air and views excite even the most jaded travellers.

It is no surprise that my driver recommended me to have my buffet lunch at Grand Puncak Sari (if you were to 'google' this restaurant there are several other reviews listing this place as a "tourist trap"). I cannot recall exactly how much I paid but I remembered it was close to 10 Singapore Dollars which in my opnion is an average price for a buffet lunch.

Fortunately, as I was there during the off-peak season, there were seats available at the balcony, the view is amazing, you get an open-air view of the volcano and Danau Batur without being interrupted by motivated street vendors.

Drinks are ordered from a beverage menu and these cost extra. As it was a bit chilly after the morning rain I ordered a hot honey lemon drink. I guess it was not expensive either because I ordered 2 rounds of it (haha).

Just to manage everyone's expectation : you will be dissapointed if you plan to visit Puncak Sari for a great meal coupled with amazing view, you simply go there to escape from the street vendors, take in the view in peace and have a basic meal in the same time.

Simple economies of scale explains why they only offer buffet selection, so I am not surprised by this concept, and I found the wait staff to be courteous and pleasant. My waiter was kind enough to advise me to quickly take pictures as the weather was erratic and he was afraid it would rain soon.

I was in Grand Puncak Sari for roughly 40 minutes and yes, it began to drizzle the minute I stepped out of the restaurant.

I have to say : do not be quick to write off Grand Puncak Sari as a "disappointingly expensive venue with an insipid buffet lunch" (to quote a snippet from another review). The view alone is priceless.

Having said that, if I had not gotten the balcony seats or faced bad weather with a poor view of the landscape, I would have probably give this restaurant a miss.

However, I do wonder how it would be like during the peak season - I can imagine the charm and beauty of this place may be 'obliterated' by camera-wielding tour groups (haha)...
witnessing a balinese procession o…
witnessing a balinese procession o…
Welcome