Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville
Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville Rates and Deals
Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville Reviews
Great stay at Mercure Apartments! Sep 24, 2010
I've been in this hotel a few times. It is not actually a hotel, but it is managed by a nearby hotel.
One of the downside of this place is that it doesn't offer 24hrs servie and for some of your inquiries you've to ring the reception of the above mentioned hotel nearby (it is actually behind the corner, but when it is monsoon season or there's a tropical storm around it's a pain in the neck).
Otherwise, the place is wonderful: it is brand new, very well serviced, big and well furnished rooms, you can cook your own meals and so save lot of money from the local restaurants which IMHO are not a big deal in terms of value for money.
There's a small swimming pool, an adjoining car park and you're close to most of the most important places and shops you need to go when in Townsville.
Part of the Townsville: the place of my R&R stays! :) travel blog
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Possibly worth all those fire alarms May 25, 2009
I was lucky enough to stay at the Grand Mercure Apartments in Townsville for about 8 weeks as part of my work, and I can honestly say they are the best accommodation I've tried in this city. The service is friendly and helpful, and they seem to actually want to have your business.
When I first checked in, the apartments were only about 2 weeks old since their opening, and the girl at the front desk told me all about their facilities etc, and even went so far as to give me a list of all the nearby restaurants and sights - very informative!
The rooms are spacious and clean; what you would deservedly expect from a good apartment, and they are kept in immaculate condition. There is a laundrette within the bathroom, and a mounted TV in the bedroom and main living area. There is also a quaint little swimming pool and gym, although so quaint that if you go during peak periods you may find there is no room at all for you.
There are a few warnings however (although only minor):
- There is no oven, but there is a stove.
- My TV remote in the bedroom disappeared, and after requesting a new remote almost every week for 6 weeks I never received one. The remote for the TV in the living room did not work on the bedroom TV. Oh well - made me read in bed more often!
- The fire alarm went off an astonishing 7 times in 8 weeks, ALL on Saturday or Sunday mornings, and none of them were real. I recall standing in the foyer in my shirt and trackies for the sixth or seventh time with a number of other disgruntled people who were woken from their weeknd slumber, waiting for the firemen to give the all-clear to a fire we knew wasn't there. Incidentally, I drove past the Grand Mercure just last Saturday morning and the firetrucks were outside once again (I kid you not)!
Finally, some tips for staying here:
- Lots of great restaurants on Palmer St right across/down the road.
- If you are checking in or out after about 8pm most nights you will have to go to the Ibis hotel next door to do so. Grand Mercure do not have 24 hour service.
- Don't bother paying for the undercover car parking unless you're too lazy to walk the extra 20 meters! Only on Friday and Saturday nights is it difficult to find a park. There is an uncovered car park round the back that usually has plenty of free spaces, and failing that, the back streets behind the hotel can yield you a space if you look for it.
- And beware, people in the adjoining room can hear you from the ventilation fans in the bathroom. I don't know how many mornings I was awoken by the gross man in the room next to me coughing his guts up as he went through his morning routine...
- Finally; there is no view from these apartments, just the backs of other tall buildings. It is an apartment of internal luxury, not external. But it knows it, and it makes sure it tries its hardest.
Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville Overview
Guests that stay at this accommodation in Townsville will be able to take a short walk across the footbridge and reach the town’s central business district. While staying at the Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville, guests will be able to find plenty of places to shop and dine. They will also be able to visit the beach and other attractions such as the Museum of Tropical Queensland. It takes only a short time to reach the airport from the Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville. Guests can use a rental or public transportation to reach the airport and their other destinations. Some sites are even within walking distance.
The hotel offers 106 rooms. Guests will be able to choose from king rooms, 1 bedroom apartments, and 2 bedroom apartments. All of the rooms at the Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville have en suite facilities, air conditioning, and balconies. They also have kitchen and laundry facilities.
Guests will be able to swim in the outdoor pool and relax in the spa. They can also work out at the onsite gym. Guests that arrive to the Grand Mercure Apartments Townsville by car will be able to use the undercover parking.
Grand Mercure Apartments Amenities