Average rate: $108 - Hotel class: 4 stars

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Close to perfect Jun 10, 2013
We stayed at Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur in May 2013 in connection with a vacation to Malaysia. I chose this hotel as I think the location is quite good and the hotel is very new.

We arrived in the evening and our suitcases were taken care of by the hotel personnel as we got out of the taxi. In this hotel you first get into an impressive foyer with a grand staircase and this area also had a grand ballroom. But to get to the lobby you actually have to take the express elevator up to the top floor located on level 40 to check in. I see that some reviews comment on this as they find it annoying that you have to take another elevator to get down to your room but I will get back to that.

When you get to level 40 and the elevator doors open you get a spectacular view to the Petronas Twin towers both day and night – once the tallest skyscrapers in the world but still one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. Our check in took a bit longer than expected as the woman behind the counter could not find our papers – but when we got to the room it looked like all the paper work and keys had been prepared and had been placed in the room so I think the receptionist did a mistake in the check in process but it was not a problem.

When we got to our room on 28th floor we had gotten a room with a great view of the Petronas twin towers and with windows from floor to ceiling you get an amazing view. Before we traveled you Malaysia I asked the hotel if it was possible to get a vase from room service as I want to buy some flowers for my wife’s birthday – when we got to the room there was a trolley there with a plate with a large domed lid on top. When I opened it was a cheese cake with a sign saying “Happy birthday” – how great is that!

The hotel opened in the fall of 2012 so it is still a new hotel. The room that we got was great and it was larger than most hotel rooms that I have stayed at. The room has tiles on the floor in the entrance and bathroom part and wooden floor in the bedroom part of the room. They layout of the room was also a bit different than your average hotel room. The huge bed is the center piece in the room as you can actually walk around it. The bed was comfortable and came with several huge pillows. On one side there was an alarm clock with a built in docking station for an iPhone which was handy for us as we both have iPhones. When we were lying in bed we had a direct view to the Petronas twin towers. On the left hand side there was a glass desk and TV. The big flat screen TV was on contraption in order to fold it into the wall or bring it out in order to watch in when in bed – a very good setup in my opinion. On the right hand side there was a sort of sofa with table next to it – and we got some chocolate candy as a welcome gift. There were lots of bottles of complimentary water.

Directly behind the bed there was a bathroom – the bathroom is separated from the bedroom with a window which I thought was quite cool as you with a touch of a button could make it frosty if you want some privacy. The bathroom only contains a shower (with a big rain forest shower head) and a bathtub (toilet and sink is in separate rooms). As you would expect from a 5 star hotel there were lots of amenities: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion, shower cap, loofah etc. There was a separate room for the toilet and a small walk in wardrobe with a safe, iron and ironing board. Between the room and the shower there was a sink and under the sink there were more amenities such as emery board, hair band etc. On the opposite side there was a bench with cupboards that included glasses, a water boiler with coffee and tea and a pull out drawer fridge.

The breakfast is served on level 38 in the restaurant that is called Thirty8. The breakfast is over the top with a great selection of egg, cereal, bread, Asian style breakfast, good juice, fresh fruit etc. The only thing missing was of course real bacon – as Malaysia is a Muslim country a lot of the restaurants is halal. It is not the most extravagant breakfast that I have come across but I can’t think of much that I was missing in the selection. Thirty8 is also a good restaurant at night and they also serve and impressive champagne lunch on Sundays! (with a free flow of Bollinger).

The hotel also has a good workout room but if you want to go jogging and can stand the heat, it is easy to walk through the convention center to get to the KLCC park which is ideal for jogging. Right next to the gym there is also a big pool with a number of sun beds. I guess this is a typical business hotel as the pool was never crowded when we were there and it was not a problem finding a sun bed. There is also a bar in connection with the pool where you can buy drinks and food.

The location of the hotel is good – located in the KLCC area it only takes a few minutes to walk to the shopping mall KLCC Suria and Petronas Twin towers. You can also walk on an elevated walkway (with aircon) to the shopping mall Pavilion where you get into the Bukit Bintang area.

When I checked out of the hotel I noticed that I had been charged for breakfast. I told them that on the first morning I had to sign a bill and I asked the staff if breakfast was not included. I got the answer that this was only for reference. When I told this to the person checking me out of the hotel, he immediately removed in from the bill. What a great service!

Conclusion

I have to say that this is one of the best hotels that I have stayed at. The rooms are big and have a good setup. The quality of the room and furniture is top notch; the aircon was quiet and easy to control. The service at the hotel was great – they brought a vase for the flowers that I bought for my wife, they brought champagne glasses when I needed that and there was constant refilling of water in the room and turn down service. I see that some people complain that you have to take the lift up to the lobby and then down to your room in a “local” elevator. I did not think this was much of a problem and you can get around if by taking the lift to the gym and taking a lift to the lobby from there.

All in all an amazing hotel in my opinion and I have stayed at some nice hotels around the world. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. Take a look at the photos and I’m sure you will understand what I mean.
The bed and the bathroom behind it
Sofa and view
Welcome gifts - fruit and chocolate
TV and desk
gardkarlsen says:
Thanks :-) I have stayed at the hotel a couple of times and it is a great hotel indeed :-)
Posted on: Oct 13, 2014
sylviandavid says:
love the pictures.... sounds so nice.
Posted on: Oct 11, 2014
alijb2020 alijb2020
cheep luxury Feb 04, 2013
The place so nice and it is location in the heart of the city where you can easy find the shopping, places to eat and the night life spots. The staff so friendly and nice the rooms so cool, and the reception in 39 floor where is the nice view of twin towers. The spa center and the gym so nice, the pool at the second floor with beautiful view. So if you are in business trip to kl it is your place as in holiday in kl for few days you will love it, and the price consider not that expensive the bath room so cool the lighting system wow
trippin_jen trippin_…
Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur Sep 03, 2012
Beautiful Interior / Amazing View / Excellent Service / Spacious Area / Delicious Cuisine / Nothing but WHOA!

I went for a 'tour' around the hotel and the first impression was 'WHOA!'From the 'outlook' of it, I thought "This is just another expensive hotel in the city". I was quite wrong. It is not just a hotel. I was totally wow-ed the moment I stepped in!

Now try to let your imagination run free and take a 'mental' tour with my words.

Check-In

The moment your car/taxi stops you in front of the hotel, you'll see the Bell Men waiting for your arrival, and immediately come and greet you. Allow them to direct you into the cool, nice scented, spacious, empty lobby. You'll see a huge winding stairs in front of you, and an escalator next to it. You'll then be escorted to the elevator that brings you directly to the concierge/check-in desk.

Do note that unlike any normal hotels, the check in lobby is at the top floor - 39th floor. The elevator is designated for check-in purposes and goes all the way up 39 floors without any stops, in about 34 seconds. The moment the elevator opens, you'll be greeted by the twin towers. Yes! The real Petronas Twin Towers standing right in front of you! The whole place is glass, so you get an excellent view of the city of KL. This hotel is designed in an oval shape, whereby the lift is in the middle, and everything else is surrounding the elevator. You're sure to get a 360 degrees view! Turn towards your left and there you'll see the KL Tower standing a short distance away from the Twins.

The Room

Once done, you'll be shown to your room. Out of so many hotels I've seen before, I guess this has the widest corridor. While some hotels make you feel rather suffocated with room doors next to one another along the narrow corridor, this one makes you feel warm and relaxed. No you can't do somersaults there, but should be wide enough to do some splits.

The moment you get into the room, you'll see a full length window in front of you, with the bed facing the window. If you're lucky, you may just be sleeping with the (almost life-size) Twin Towers in front of you. The TV is placed next to the window, and you're free to 'pull' it out of the 'wall', and adjust the angle if you wish to watch the TV from your bed or the 'lounge' area. The desk is just below the TV, which is quite awkward though. Now the bed is placed right in the middle of the room. Just behind the bed is the bathroom with a bath tub, with a transparent glass. If you wish to watch TV or admire the Towers while taking your bath, feel free to do so. If you need some privacy, just 'switch on' the Privacy Switch, and the glass window for the bathroom will turn into smokey-effect (there should be a better way to describe it, but, let's just put it this way for the time being). This special glass is called the LCG (Liquid Crystal Glass) and it is a good way to replace the blinds. The sink is located at the side, but out of the bathroom, while the mini bar is located on the other side of the bathroom. Remember I mentioned the bed is located in the middle of the room? This makes room for small 'walkways' at both sides. In front of the bathroom is the toilet, and walk-in wardrobe. The amenities they provide is by June Jacobs, an American brand that uses natural ingredients. The entry room is 47 square metres in size, and one level up will be 65 square metres. Its Suites can go up to more than 1000 square metres, with a bathtub that fits 2, and overlooking the Twin Towers. Every room also come with an Ipod Dock. With the right room choice, you'll be able to enjoy free snacks and drinks at their lounge on the 37th floor, whole day long.

Facilities

If you need to do some workouts or pamper yourself with some spa, go down to the 2nd level. Threadmills, Yoga balls, bicycles, Swimming Pool are available 24 hours. You can also get your massage or spa done with a friend or as a couple, as they have special rooms for 2 too. Lockers rooms are provided.

Business

There are lots of meeting rooms or conference halls for your usage - with a price, of course. A standard sized meeting room is charged at a minimum of MYR 4,000 for day time use, while the bigger room goes up to MYR 12,000! Ballrooms are also nicely decorated with crystal chandeliers. If you're having your wedding reception there, there's also a Bridal Room available.

Restaurants

Only 3 restaurants available - the Terrace Cafe for some local cuisines, or up the 38th floor for International Cuisine, or some light meals by the pool. Breakfast is served on the 38th floor, while the Terrace Cafe is only open for lunch and dinner. The Terrace Cafe gives a relaxing holiday mood and allows you to dig in to the various local delicacies. Indoors or Outdoors, it's your choice. Restaurant 38 on the other hand, in my opinion, is more classy and more suitable for Business Socials. It comes with a price too. Beef + Seafood platter for two, can come up to MYR 300, not inclusive of taxes, or side dishes! Even the appetizer can go up to over MYR 200 per plate! Definitely not for those with a hole in the pocket. Their 38 Signature Cake however, is worth a try at MYR 25 for a small piece, good enough to share among 2 or 3. Their 'Straight from the Oven Chocolate Cake' is really straight from the oven - meaning, they bake it only when you order it!

Room for Improvements

Service at Restaurant 38 is extremely slow.

You expect nice night view of the city from this Restaurant, but I was told that you can't really see the night view because of the kitchen's reflection on the glass windows. I wasn't there at night, so maybe you can judge better?

Other Information

The owner of Grand Hyatt KL is the Sultan of Brunei, so you can expect some royalties staying in this hotel. Will Prince William and Princess Katherine Middleton stay in this hotel during their visit to KL on 13th September 2012? This remains a secret (as of date and time of this review). Unfortunately it was an impromptu visit to the hotel so I didn't have my camera with me. But feel free to drop by the 38th floor! :)

Photos taken from their website and the internet.
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :)
trippin_jen says:
Thanks Weet, Thanks Glynnes! :)
TB_Weet says:
Congratulations on your featured review! :D

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur Overview

This Kuala Lumpur hotel in Bukit Bintang, is a few steps from Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. Kuala Lumpur's attractions, such as KLCC Park and Pavilion Kuala Lumpur Mall are within an easy walking distance.

For the comfort and safety of guests, the Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur offers non-smoking rooms. Facilities offered include a concierge, a business centre and an outdoor pool. Guests can take advantage of the available internet access to keep in touch during their trip. Guests who have an eye on their health and wellness will be glad to know the hotel has fitness facilities on-site. Business amenities at the hotel include meeting rooms.

If you're travelling with a family in tow, the Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur offers sizeable rooms geared towards the requirements of families and kids. If access is a concern, prospective guests will be happy to hear the hotel provides wheelchair access for an inclusive experience.

Guests wishing to socialise can take advantage of the Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur's bar, located on-site for your convenience.

Grand Hyatt Amenities