At almost 55,000 people (up 11% since 2000), Grand Forks is the third largest city in North Dakota after Fargo and Bismarck. Grand Forks is located at the intersection of Interstate 29, and U.S. Highways 2 and 81 in Grand Forks County in Northeast North Dakota. It is also on the banks of the Red River where it meets the Red Lake River. The area had a devastating flood in 1997. Indians occupied the area for many years and French and French Canadian fur trappers came here in the 1740s. They called the area Les Grandes Fourches (The Grand Forks). The name was changed to Grand Forks in 1870. Grand Forks is the county seat of Grand Forks County, which was also named for the fork in the river. The Grand Forks County Courthouse was completed in 1914 using the Beaux Arts style of architecture. It is one of several in the state designed by the famous Minnesota architecture firm of Buechner & Orth. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Grand Forks has a vast number of buildings of historical and/or architectural interest. There are 4 historic districts and 55 individual locations in Grand Forks listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Grand Forks has a number of nice museums, art galleries and other attractions