Grand Canyon Skywalk

Grand Canyon, Arizona

Grand Canyon Skywalk Reviews

anewchapter anewchap…
The Grand Canyon-One of the Seven Wonders of the World Apr 07, 2015
How can you stay in Las Vegas and not take a day trip to the Grand Canyon? Its just one of those things you have to do.

Whenever theres a list compiled of earths seven natural wonders, the Grand Canyon is always on the list.

I booked the day trip to the South Rim through Viator and paid extra for the Skywalk. The tour also includes a 15 minute stop at the Hoover Dam.

In all I spent around 3.5 hours at the Grand Canyon at 2 different points (Eagle Point and Guano Point). Its really hard to describe how breathtaking the place is. Its not something that you can ever express with photos or words.

I think I've felt this way twice about locations before (those being Hitlers Eagles Nest in Germany and the Snowy Mountains of Solden in Austria), the only difference with the other 2 locations was that there was hardly any people there so I could just chill in silence and enjoy the views. Grand Canyon will always be busy and this was actually one of the least busiest times of the year but there was still alot of people.

The Skywalk was great. I'm not really a fan of heights, some places make me wanna grab onto the side and others don't. The skywalk didn't make me wanna hold onto the side.

Its worth noting that you aren't allowed to take any cameras or phones (or shoes) onto the skywalk because according to the native indians who own it "technology tarnishes the aura of the Grand Canyon". However, they are happy to have their very own photographer take his giant ass camera onto the skywalk and take photos of you (raised eyebrows). I know some people might throw their hands up and say that its BS and all that but at the end of the day it's a smart way for them to make money, so...

It's also worth noting that the quality of their photos isn't great, they are good but not great. If you compare the colours in my photos to theirs then you can see the difference.

The photos cost all sorts of prices depending on what size you want, how many you want and if you want them framed/unframed or directly emailed. Prices range from around $15 to $60. Of course you don't have to have the photos but...you do really, right? How can you go on the skywalk and not have photos?

I'd highly recommend visiting the Grand Canyon. I'm sure some people won't get it and think it's just a giant hole and some rocks but others will feel the beauty of the place, its all in the eyes of the beholder. I personally really enjoyed it and also enjoyed the tour as a whole. I booked with Gray Line tours through Viator and Ryan the driver was excellent, informative and funny.
on the Skywalk at The Grand Canyon
The Grand Canyon
The Skywalk at The Grand Canyon
The Skywalk at The Grand Canyon
trippin_jen says:
Actually, I would prefer to ride with the doors left open, like this: https://i.imgflip.com/clq8c.gif
anewchapter says:
Haha yeah it probably was Scot. I guess if the door swung open it would have been like an army style helicopter ride.
Ils1976 says:
I can imagine that it is expensive, all fun things are! :D
RIGAS RIGAS
Unique (!!!) Jun 26, 2013
One of the first things i do in a new city is to visit the highest point (skybuildings)to admire the view from above.

Maybe the best photos in my archive are from skybuildings, helicopters and aircrafts.

So when i visited Las Vegas and booked my tour for Grand Canyon, i paid and the extra price for the "Skywalk".

In this place isn't necessary to visit it, because the canyon offers you stunning view from every point (eagle point and guano point). But skywalk is a highlight very special, that similar is very difficult to find on the planet earth(!) When tour operator inform me that i can't get shooting with my own camera, i got a little shock but he reassured me, saying that Indians on the skywalk offers photo gallery to anyone tourist wishes. After the great shots out of skywalk, i went at the entrance, i wore coverings for my shoes (for the plexiglass), i let my camera and my mobile in a locker and i was ready for my first steps on the skywalk(!)....The view is really fantastic and the large gap benneath my foot was breathtaking. An American Indian take shots from tourists and at the exit, in souvenir shop area you can see your photo album and choose between two options: 1 photo for 30dollars or all photos for 80 dollars...Ok the prices are really expensive but i believe that the majority of people choose all photos. Skywalk is located in eagle point. For the movement to Guano point, there are buses every 15 minutes. The view from Guano piont is better and there is a small open air restaurant for the lunch (included in the price of tour).
Photo from usb stick (80us dollars)
Grand canyon skywalk(!!!)
My photo(eagle point)
RIGAS says:
Exactly man!
Zagnut66 says:
The 80 bucks for photos sounds like a scam, but I guess there is nothing you can do about it. I would pay it.
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on the feature! Sounds like an awesome place, but I think I would be afraid to do this! :D
austin37335 austin37…
An unforgettable experience Jun 21, 2011
We were in two minds about travelling to the Skywalk. We had read some critical reviews and seen some very uncomplimentary video posts on a well known video website. We had heard complaints about the rough roads leading to the site, and about the expense, and the fact that they try to ‘nickel and dime’ you for every last cent while you are there. I can’t tell you how pleased we were that we ignored those negatives and made the decision to make our own minds up. We loved every second of it!

As a European the 3 hour drive from Las Vegas was a marvel in itself. Amazing Arizona landscapes like we had never seen before and of course the opportunity to visit the Hoover Dam, which I may review in another article.

From Vegas you take US93 towards the Hoover Dam. The new (amazingly engineered) bridge now means that you don’t have to travel across the dam itself and consequently there is no need to get stuck in traffic. I understand this was always a bottleneck before the bridge was built. They have built side screens onto the bridge which means you can’t actually see the Dam from the main highway.

Continuing on the US93 past the Dam there is an opportunity to pull in about an hour down the road at a location that is signposted ‘Scenic View’. I would recommend a stop here because what you get is a first incredible view of the Colorado River at ‘Willow Beach’.

Continue on the US93 until you get to the left turn to Doral Springs, there is a clear sign for the Skywalk at this point so you can’t miss the turn. Things get a little more remote from here on in but the beautiful Arizona landscape continues. Eventually you will see the right turn at Diamond Bar Road that takes you all the way to Grand Canyon West airport, again the Skywalk is clearly signposted. Ok there is a considerable section of this road that is unpaved but reports we had read about needing an SUV were completely unfounded. We managed perfectly well in a regular full size saloon and although very dusty and rather bumpy there is really nothing to make a terrible fuss about.

When you reach the airport you are required to park up and take a bus to the actual sights. There are a number of different packages you can opt for but if you want to walk on the Skywalk you have to take the ‘Legacy’ package which is about $73.00 each. This package takes you to three separate viewing areas, Eagle Point (where the Skywalk is located), Guano Point, and Hualapai Ranch. The package also includes lunch at any of these areas.

At the Skywalk itself you are required to leave all personal possessions in a locker (including cameras, phones and video cameras) so as to protect the glass and you have to wear the overshoes provided. There is an official photographer on the Skwalk and you can buy the photos for $30.00 for a single photo or multiple photos for $107.00. I know this is pricy but you don’t have to make the purchase if you’re outraged.

The Skywalk really isn’t as terrifying as some with height fears may imagine. My wife who is petrified of heights and really had no intention of walking the Skywalk actually found it ok after an initial uncertainty. There is a frosted area along each edge of the walkway for anybody that really doesn’t like seeing the floor below.

The views from the Skywalk and from Eagle and Guano Points are indescribably fantastic. There are no barriers or fences away from the Skywalk so care is needed when peering down into the Canyon but as far as I know they have not lost anybody yet! For me, Guano Point was particularly stunning, especially if you make the rather strenuous climb to the tip of the point. Personally we was happy to pay $73.00 each for a view and an experience that will live with us for an entire lifetime.
The amazing Skywalk
Happy to be here
The whole family
Is there any better place to have …
cee1986 cee1986
The best experience of my life to date! Sep 09, 2011
I went here September 2011. We travelled by helicopter and had a champagne breakfast on the foot of the Canyon at sunrise. We also flew over the Hoover Dam and Colorado River. The views were just out of this world! Couldn't recommend the trip enough!!! A little pricey but well worth every penny! :)
HuBison HuBison
I vouch for this amazing experience!!! Jul 01, 2010
While visiting Vegas, since we had been there several times already, we decided to take a trip to the Grand Canyon. We called up Grey Lines and booked a trip that took us to the SkyWalk and it was sooooo worth it.

We stopped at the Hoover Dam for less than 10 minutes to take pictures and point out how the Transformers took over and entered here.

It seemed like a long bus ride, but you leave Vegas early and sleep most of the way. Once you arrive, it is AMAZING up there. We went in early August and I now know what "dry heat" feels like; it's like opening up an oven-wheew! With the tour we selected, lunch was included.

The Skywalk was funny because people were holding onto the rail as if it were there lifeline and there I was, just walking around like I was on solid ground. It is an amazing experience! When I went, our time was unlimited, but we were told that as it becomes more popular, they might impose time limits. There was small group of us, 3 of us wanted a professional picture, so we just paid for one and when we got back home, we, well, eh hem...
johnep johnep
Worth the time and effort Jul 02, 2009
I took this trip in the early summer 2009. Stayed in Las Vegas and did the drive to the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

I've read that you can't do the trip if you don't have a SUV or high clearance vehicle. I did it in a Lincoln Towncar. Maybe it's because I have 30 years as a Teamster truck driver but I believe it's no big thing, you just have to be careful on the dirt.

The last 15 miles of the trip is all dirt road but it's well graded but very slippery if you get the speed up. A problem is the people driving big SUV's, 4x4's or Hummers that think they're on a race track. They'll tailgate and shoot around you leaving you in a cloud of dust requiring you to slow even more to just see the road.

If you're traveling with women, make sure they hit a restroom before you leave Rt. 93. Dolan Springs is a spot on the road with no facilities. There is nothing past Dolan Springs to the Skywalk. It's 50 miles from Rt. 93 to the Skywalk. So unless you want the wrath of your wife or significant other or they're not above going in Nature, find them a restroom.

Lots of beautiful scenery on the way to the Skywalk. You'll see wild cattle and mustangs if you are observant.

My recommendation is to get there early. It's like 30 miles from Las Vegas to the Hoover Dam but crossing the Dam can take up to an hour or more. This will change in 2010 or so as they're putting up a suspension bridge to bypass the Dam traffic.

There is no gas after you leave Rt. 93 either. There is a Chevron gas station before the Dam. There is a Texaco gas station a couple miles before the Dolan Springs turn off. If you miss this, the next gas is in Meadville, 20 miles past the turn off for the Skywalk.

It seems like a pain in the butt to get there but the trip is worth it. The views of the canyon on the Hualapai Indian Reservation are fantastic. The Skywalk is worth walking on. OK, so the pictures they take of you are a little high but they had a sale on T-shirts. It's like $35 per picture on a sliding scale, they get less costly the more you buy. They give you a spiel that they don't allow cameras cause people drop them over the side but that's bull, IMO. They want to sell pictures and they do exactly that as there was a huge line waiting.

They have lockers to put your cameras and cells at the entrance to the Skywalk. They were free.

The Hualapai people were extremely friendly at the site. The bus drivers were informative and the busses were comfortable and clean.

Take plenty of bottled water.

Like I said earlier, get there early, otherwise you'll miss out on the Helicopter rides or river trips they offer there. They shut down the Helicopters at approximately 4PM.

You don't have to take a charter from your hotel in Vegas to do this, you can do it by yourself.

Have fun and I hope this helped.
Miranda-Maas Miranda-…
Unforgettable sight! Apr 22, 2009
This was an unforgettable sight. Really. I think it is the most impressive thing i've ever seen. We got to the Grand Canyon West by car. At a certain point you have to park your car and you can only go on by bus. The bus will bring you to the Skywalk. And only a few steps from the Canyon, you can actually see it. I never felt so small as i did here. The view here is incredible. And you're not standing on the Skywalk yet! The best thing of standing on the Skywalk is that you're standing on glass so you're standing on the canyon. It's a bit scary at first, but if you're used to it, it's so beautiful. And you have the best view of the famous Eagle point. I know it it a very expensive sight (fortunately i don't remember the exact costs) but it is really worth it!
The Skywalk
Eagle Point
mellemel8 mellemel8
Jan 19, 2008
I would recommend coming here. there are NO CAMERAS AND NO CEL PHONES allowed on the skywalk. you are asked to put you belongings in a locker which is a $1 per locker.

when you get to the skywalk. you are required to wear booties, so that you won't scratch the glass.

there are professional photographers to take your pictures on the skywalk. you can purchase it if you want to. the profits on the skywalk goes to the Hualapai tribe.

it is an experience. it is a wonderfull view of the canyon, eagle point and colorado river.
sylviandavid says:
I think I might pass on the sky walk.... I have trouble when I can see ground 200 feet below my shoes... :0
Posted on: Jul 09, 2009
mellemel8 says:
one was for $20. might as well get the package. i did not mind paying the amount. it is going to the tribe.
Posted on: Feb 12, 2008
CFD says:
Wow! $105 for a couple of pictures! How much is it to get a few digital copies?
Posted on: Feb 12, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Grand Canyon Skywalk

Plane, bus, skywalk, hualapai tribe, & grub
THIS IS LOCATED ON THE WEST RIM OF THE GRAND CANYON. THE SACRED LAND OF THE HUALAPAI INDIANS.The Grand Canyon Skywalk is a tourist attraction along the Colorado River on the edge of the Grand Canyon …Grand Canyon Skywalk is a tourist attraction along the Colorado River on the edge of the Grand
also known as Radiator Springs!
It is said that Peach Springs, Arizona was the inspiration for the sleepy town of Radiator Springs in the animated movie 'Cars'. If this is true, I don't know, but it can be said that there is not a …Grand Canyon Skywalk, which is partly owned and run by the Hualapai. With the construction of the controversial…
May 18 & 19 - Boulder City, NV
Well, we made it home safe and sound, from our visit to "sin city" on the 17th.  However, I cannot tell you much about our activities there,due to the rule, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vega…Grand Canyon Skywalk, knowing we would not actually go to it because we so strongly disagree with what…

Compare Grand Canyon National Park Hotel Rates (3km away)

Grand Canyon Skywalk Map