Grand Canal

Venice, Italy

Grand Canal Venice Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Nice water! Oct 09, 2010
In a city which is full of canals, the grand daddy of them all is the grand canal. It cuts through Venice and many of the city’s gondola services and water buses (vaporetti) go along here too. The railway station is also at one end of the canal, so you can get the water bus rather conveniently if you are then heading to the train station.

The views along the grand canal are very impressive if not a little cliché. I particularly recommend going along the grand canal around sunset, when the water glistens rather nicely and the worst of the tourist crowds are starting to slow down.

If you are in Venice, this is the one canal that you will find very difficult to miss. Despite its ever-pervading nature, you should find that it becomes one of your favourite Venetian canals too!
montecarlostar says:
Oh, look at you reviewing the Grand Canal. With this kind of reviewing, you'll definitively keep me tuned to your writings.

One funny thing about the grand canal is that I was comparing the picture I took of it from Ponte Rialto with one that a buddy of mine had taken years before, and the taxi boats were in the exact same position! I thought it was incredible, but maybe they just happen to have routinary driving courses!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2011
maxcw maxcw
Jan 25, 2006
Everyone who travels to Venice of course sees the Grand Canal. It is spectacular, but usually bustling with water taxis and lined with tourists. I'd like to publicize a more traquil side of this waterway. During the low tourist season at around ten at night, I found a walkway that lines the canal next to some tied-up gondolas. I loved listening to the glub-glub sounds of these boats while gazing at the beautifully lit facades.
Eric Eric
Jan 31, 2006
I like the grand canal best at night or right around sunset. There is less activity on the water and the buildings begin to light up, reflecting off the inky surface of the water. Find a quiet place away from the bustle of gondolas and chatter of tourists and enjoy a relaxing evening.
Evening on the grand canal.
Reflections on the watery surface.
Vipin says:
so do i!!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2011
Laurabob says:
Amazing pictures, its so beautiful. Its definitely on my list of things to see.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2006

Related Travel Blogs About Grand Canal

Potential Itineraries
For our trip, we decided to make a survey to decide where we wanted to go.  We listed countries that interested us, as well as cities in them, and things to see/do in the cities.    …Venice         -  Grand Canal         - Academy…
In the footsteps of James Bond
I know it has been a while since I updated this blog but life has been pretty hectic lately. Anyway off to Venice!The TripI took the train from Milan to Venice, stopping along the way in Verona for a…VENICE, the Canale Grande (which is by far the biggest canal in the city, it makes a huge S shape…

Check Venice Hotel Deals