Grand Café Foy

1 Place Stanislas, Nancy, France
+33 03 83 32 15 97
Grand Café Foy - This is where it s, Number 1!
Grand Café Foy - Cafe Foy, Nancy.
Grand Café Foy - Ruinously expensive but location is everything.

Grand Café Foy Nancy Reviews

planxty planxty
Very, very expensive but probably worth it. Apr 26, 2017
It was a gloriously bright but still pretty chilly day when I went for a good walk round the centre of Nancy and literally happened by accident upon the Place Stanislas which contains, amongst other things, the Town Hall (Hotel de Ville). I do love the way the French name their municipal buildings hotels, it just always appeals to me. Here I was in this magnificent square and there really was only one thing for it, I had to do a bit of French "cafe society". There were a few hardy souls sitting outside a particularly grand looking cafe and I decided to join them although the interior of the Cafe Foy was delightfully inviting.

I chose a seat with one of the finest views I can remember as I hope the images attest and ordered a cofee from the attentive and vey smartly dressed young waiter. I took the relatively unprecedented step of sending (successfully as it turned out) an SMS on my 'phone with an accompanying image and a text along the lines of "look where I am and what I'm doing now". I fully appreciate that the majority of readers will look at this and go, "So what" but believe me when I tell you that for someone as utterly technophobic as me this was my Everest. Send a message internationally and attach a photo, that is a very long way above my pay grade. To do so in such a location was merely an added bonus. Yes, I was a scruffy looking brute although the waiter never batted an eyelid, he probably just marked me down as some Bohemian spirit which I suppose I am in many ways.

I find it difficult to express in words just how wonderful this experience was, it was one of those things where you "just had to be there" and I am glad I sent that message to my friend as it was her who had inadvertently started this whole mad adventure off in the first place. If that makes no sense to you then I would exhort you to start from the beginning of the journal entry to which this is hopefully attached, it is quite a tale.

I have to say that when the bill arrived for one coffee it was eye-watering and that was not merely due to the cold, it is bloody expensive here but I fully realise that you are paying for the location and that is pretty priceless. I cannot remember exactly how much it was although I know I could have fed myself for a couple of days on it but I know it was worth every centime or whatever the disgusting € equivalent is.

Highly recommended.
Cafe Foy, Nancy.
Ruinously expensive but location i…
planxty says:
WWV, you'll get no argument from me there, it really is a very special place.

Ingo, could well be. I don't remember exactly but it was about €4 or €5 for a bog standard coffee. Madness but worth it for a one time splurge.
german_eagle says:
Could it be that it looks almost deserted because of the ruinously high prices?
worldwideview says:
Went to Nancy last year, fabulous city. In my opinion Place Stanislas is probably the prettiest town square in Europe.

Check Nancy Hotel Deals