Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Check Runaway Bay Hotel Deals

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay Reviews

AvelinoL AvelinoL
Good week Feb 07, 2017
After a few travelling decades, I agree that no one in the world matches the Spanish professionalism organizing mass tourism.

It was no surprise, finding this new Jamaican resorts led by Spanish, copying exactly the same techniques used in Spain to please the guests. The concentration of Spanish and Portuguese guests made us feel sometimes like being in Torremolinos or Benidorm

All the sportive activities were available at the hotel, as expected. My only surprise was the several beach activities were also free, with the normal exception of the paid motorized sports and scuba diving.

The alternatives were many, and the controlled time of use for all the guests was just a routine.

They tried hard in the hotel to gather guests in sportive events, but the strong sun didn't advice to sweat.

Gymnastic in the pool, and the small boats were the exception, in a wide offer.

The all-inclusive package meant that 90% of the people we saw in the beaches and pools were carrying... a glass with a colored drink.

In both sides of the biggest beach, in the pools, in the lobby, everywhere, with or without music, with or without rum, the rule was... to drink.

Trying to introduce variety in a all-inclusive week, the hotel has several restaurants "officially" with different cuisines. Well, they were not so different - different rooms and ambiances but basically the same food, with a small detail of a more elaborated dish.

Anyway, it works, and people discuss the restaurants, as if they were really too different.

Generally, the hotels are the most expensive places to shop, but in Jamaica I'm not so sure of that.

We checked some prices with external shops, and the differences were small. Of course, we didn't try the local circuit, and had no idea of the "real" prices.
ebonystarr ebonysta…
Room for improvement, but overall great time Jun 15, 2017
Booked a long weekend trip here through Funjet, for a quick girls' getaway with my two older sisters (we're 35, 43, and 45). The purpose of the trip was simply to escape and relax - we weren't into sightseeing, activities, etc. We wanted the spa, pool, beach, and food...and this place delivered.

The resort is about an hour from the airport; our transportation was provided by Jamaica Tours Limited, which was complimentary since we booked through Funjet. The ride wasn't too bad; it was scenic and went quickly.

First impression:

The entry to the resort was lush and beautiful, set back from the main road just a short way; we were greeted by the smiling staff with a welcome dance and a cocktail. The bellhop took our bags right away, and we were through check-in and in our room within 20 min. It probably would have happened faster, but we were waylaid by the resort staff who's jobs were to get you to go on the tour of the newly built side, and sit through a pitch. That was mildly annoying, but luckily we caught on to what she was doing and we extricated ourselves quickly. The main lobby is huge, with a large central atrium and seating areas, and a bar. The lobby is open to the air on the front and back entrances, creating a large breezeway throughout the structure. At the back of the lobby, there is a long terrace with tables and chairs, and a full-service bar. This is also where the nightly entertainment performs. On the way to the rooms, we passed two lobby shops - both of which had a nice assortment of souvenirs, necessities, mini bar supplies, snacks, beach/resort accessories and apparel. We ended up doing a bit of shopping in both.

The room:

We stayed in the main building, and our room was just a short walk down the hall from check-in and the main lobby. We had a nice view from the room of the lush greenery, pool, and sea just beyond the beach. The room itself was called a junior suite, but it looked like a nicely appointed but typical hotel room with two queen 4 post beds and cool, tile floors. There was a bench sofa/bed in one corner of the room, that was actually quite comfortable for sleeping; a desk, dresser, chairs and table set filled out the space, and another set of table and chairs on the balcony. The bathroom was large and clean, with a separate shower and bath. The linens weren't nearly as plush as I expected them to be for this level of resort - they were fairly thin and slightly rough; the bed linens weren't much better, as I expected at least 400 tc sheets, and these were definitely not. I'm not usually so particular about these things, but as I said for a 4/5-star hotel, I don't think it's too much to ask for some Egyptian cotton.

The pool and grounds:

The pool area was large, and went around almost the entire resort with a kiddie area at one end, and an adults only area at the other. In between, there are two bars, both with a swim-up side for those in the pool to have easy access to the drinks. Daily games and activities are offered, and towels are provided as often as necessary. Crossing the bridges on the pool, brings you across and down to the activity beach, it's much too rocky for swimming, but you can choose to kayak or paddleboat here. Much further down (about a 5-10 min walk) is another beach where the sand is like powder, and the water calm, clear, and warm. Grab towels before you walk over, as there are beach chairs offered, but no towels.

The Spa:

The Bahia Spa was EXCELLENT. I had a 50 min ganja oil massage that was simply fantastic;I felt like a limp noodle when she finished, and was good for nothing but laying around at the pool afterwards. The next day I went back for a 50 min anti-stress facial, and a hand/foot reflexology massage - both of which were AMAZING. I could see the glow on my face the rest of the weekend and my skin felt supple and healthy. My sisters both had massages, and they said the same about their services. The ladies working there were so very pleasant, and genuinely so.

Food & Beverage:

This is when I really loved the all-inclusive part of this whole deal....you can eat/drink as much as you want, because it's already paid for! We stayed for 3 nights, so we were able to eat at the buffet for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and we had one night of an a la carte dinner, at one of the specialty restaurants, which require a reservation. We ate most of our meals at the buffet restaurant called Orchid (Oriquedea), and it is literally all you can eat of a delicious mix of Jamaican, Latin Caribbean, and American foods, with all the wine/juice/soda you can drink (hard liquor is served in the resort bars only). We chose The Grill for our a la carte dinner, and I had a sumptuous meal of surf & turf - grilled shrimp over steak with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. The appetizers and desserts were self serve, but entrees and drinks were brought by the staff .Though the meal at The Grill was delicious, I preferred Orchid's variety. We had lunch one day at the Snack Bar, on our way to the beach side of the resort. THAT'S where you want to go for the real Jamaican jerk chicken. It does NOT disappoint.

Cons & Complaints:

1. Our TV wasn't working and it took three calls to the front desk to get it fixed; turned out it was a faulty cable, which was no big deal, but it was a bit frustrating.

2. The salespeople who are trying to get guests to go on the tour are EVERYWHERE. It gets to be a little invasive and annoying after the first three times you're approached; at one point we just started lying and saying we'd been through the whole spiel, just to get them to stop asking. Again, no big deal, but not what I wanted to deal with either.

Overall, the GBP was a great location and value for our sisters' getaway. We wanted to bond and hang out with each other and that's what we did, but we were also able to split and do our own thing when needed. I would come back here again, either with my husband or with girlfriends. All inclusive is my new favorite way to vacation.

Check Runaway Bay Hotel Deals