Gran Melia Cancun

Gran Melia Cancun Rates and Deals

Gran Melia Cancun Reviews

Yerfy Yerfy
Avoid At All Cost ... May 09, 2011
Normally, Cancun is not a place that I would travel to, but I was on a free trip through the company that I worked for at the time. After my work trip was over, we stayed a few extra days at the Gran Melia, and my review is below:

For a seemingly nice hotel, they sure do treat their guest poorly. For starters, almost every time I left my room, someone working for the hotel would almost inevitably ask me if I was a guest at the hotel. I would have to prove it by showing them my room key and giving them my name. I was there 2 days, and this happened at least 5 times. There was never any reason for this, as my behavior was not out of the ordinary. I am not loud, or an abrasive drunk, but I was treated like an 18 year old on Spring Break.

We stopped into the happy hour at the bar one night, and they were just serving last call for "free" drinks, but the bartender said he would let us get one round for free...of course they showed up on our bill when I checked out.

What really bothered me was what happened when I tried to get a taxi to the airport. I was staying with 2 friends, who were checked into the room for an additional 2 days after I left. I had my bags and stepped out front to get a taxi. The doorman said I can't leave until I check out. I explained that I was leaving, but there are still people occupying the room and they are paying the bill. He said that he cannot get me a cab until I talk to the front desk. The front desk told me that I was not allowed to leave the property until I payed for all of the incidentals that were on the room so far (bar tab etc). I explained to them that my friends are still in the room, they have their credit card on file and will be paying upon their departure. They said that if I did not pay, they were going to call the police and have me deal with them. Obviously, no one wants to deal with Mexican police, so I had no choice but to pay.

I have traveled to over 30 countries in my life and have stayed in all types of hotels, motels, tents, igloos, you name it, and I have never received such poor treatment from a hotel. Considering this is not a cheap place to stay, I think they have a lot to learn about customer service, or even basic human treatment. I have made it a mission to advise anyone going to Cancun to avoid this hotel!

Gran Melia Cancun Overview

The Gran Melia Cancun is situated on a stretch of private beach overlooking both the ocean and the Nichupte Lagoon. This all inclusive Cancun hotel is conveniently located near some of Cancun's best shopping and nightlife. For the adventurers who like to explore, be sure to visit El Rey, Tulum and Chichen Itza for a glimpse into the past. The Gran Melia Cancun is 15 minutes from the Cancun airport.

All 700 guestrooms at the Gran Melia Cancun are meticulously designed with comfort in mind. Each room has satellite TV, radio, Internet, bathroom, a full bath with bidet, bathrobe, and fully stocked minibar with filtered water.

The Gran Melia Cancun was originally built in 1999 and underwent some renovations in 2006. It is modeled after Mayan temples; there are five connecting buildings each with its own distinctive pyramid styled roof. Along with world class amenities, guests can enjoy serene walks through the lush gardens and by the tropical fish ponds. Multiple dining choices exist in restaurants and bars that boast of their extensive wine selections. Play a round of golf on the onsite 9 hole course.

Gran Melia Amenities

• Windsurfing
  • Water Activities
  • Playground
  • Volleyball
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Canoeing
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes