Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Runaway Bay

Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Runaway Bay Rates and Deals

Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Runaway Bay Reviews

tirsomaldonado tirsomal…
Good hotel for a reasonable price Aug 14, 2012
Overall I would say I recommend it although I had a couple of issues with some of the services they offer. When we talked to the travel agency we asked for sea views, but when we got to the hotel they gave us a room in a side building which was far from having sea views. Anyhow, we made the reservation with Vibo (Viajes Iberia) and Soltour, and the fact of the matter is that they had a representative in the hotel and within the same night we were already in a beautiful room with sea views!

The hotel is just amazingly big, with tons of pools and a couple of private beaches. Well, there are actually 3 beaches, but one of them was nudist, and as I don't practice it, I didn't see it! One of the beaches is just excellent, exactly what anyone would expect from a beach in the caribbean! I would spend hours there! Crystal blue water and beautiful white sand...

Rooms are very spacious although they are not beautifully decorated. They are fine, but don't expect anything very special. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't consider this a 5 star hotel... it is more a 4 than a 5.. but hey, who know how it works in Jamaica....

The buffet really surprised us! they have so much variety and everything is so good that forget if you are planning to go on a healty diet! I was supposed to do it but I just quite within the first 30 seconds of visiting the buffet!. By the way, I hate buffets, but hey, the food here is just amazing.

Besides the buffet restaurant, they have 4 thematic restaurants. A grill restaurant (The Garden Grill), an Italian restaurant (Dolce Vita), a gourmet restaurant (Don Pablo) and a Japanese restaurant (Mikado).These restaurants only work for dinner. For lunch you have two options. You either go to the full buffet, or you can eat at the beach restaurant, which on my opinion is the best option! They even have an area with Jamaican Food! well, it actually is a barbacue where they cook chicken and pork. Be careful with all the side sauces, as they are spiiiiiiiicy!!!! uffff.. I can still remember how many daikiris I had to have to relieve my tongue! :) well, it does not sound that awful right? daikiris as a friendly cure! :) Besides, you can eat there in bathing suite!

If I had to choose one of the restaurants I would choose the Italian restaurant, followed by the Grill and last, the Japanese restaurant. Well actually it is not even Japanese, it is oriental, but they do not specialized in sushi. Besides, the service is awful! With the all inclusive deal, you have three or four dinners depending on the rate you paid. But if you like sushi, just avoid the japanese restaurant! Trust me! :)

Service overall is very good, although I found some exceptions, as the Public Relations Manager, who was quite unpolite with me while I was complaining about the Internet Connection. You assume if you have problems with your access to the Internet, they will help you, but their answer was: "sorry, this service is offered by Kubi, so you will have to call them"... well, it is something i would have never expected in a good hotel.

By the way, this is an all inclusive hotel, so they give you that wrist band to move around the hotel. You even have alcoholic drinks included, there are only some alcohol beverages which are not included.

We booked everything with Soltour, so we ended up getting all their excursions. They have an office inside the hotel, which has 800 rooms or so.. I don't remember the number exactly!

Best: the beach and its food

Worst: Public Relations Manager (Marsha.. or something like that) and the Wifi connection. If your are planning to work during your holiday don't expect to have a good speed every day.

So, overall, I would recommend this resort in Jamaica!
Rokerij Rokerij
Amazing With a Dash of Lousy Feb 19, 2012
There were a couple of significant problems that make me think this hotel should be rated a 4 star rather than a 5. They are;

1. It is not 24 hours. Although advertised as 24 hours the service actually cuts off at 2am. Between 2am-6am you have access to the burger bar which serves burgers, hot dogs, and beer (no sides). Although you would have to stand in line for about an hour before you could get either.

2. The terrace bar closes at 11pm and at that point the only thing open is Pueblo Principe sports bar (till 2am). If you were lucky enough to get a table on the terrace bar while it was open, you should buy a lottery ticket if you are served a drink. The women servers are rude, inattentive, and just plain lousy servers. Multiple times we ordered drinks from the same girl 3-4 times and never got anything. Every time they would come back by us they would ask us what we wanted as if we never ordered from them a couple of minutes earlier. In the 7 days there we had 1 waitress who was very good and unfortunately it was our last night so we couldn't keep looking for her.

3. Drink inconsistency. They put extremely sweet simple syrup in just about everything. I ordered a margarita and it was loaded with simple syrup. It literally got to the point that we had to ask the bartenders if they knew how to make a margaritta. 1 out of 7 actually did. The other 6 all made it differently and wrong. We eventually stuck with rum and cokes because they couldn't be screwed up - at least I hope.

4. Don Pablo was fully booked all week. We couldn't get a reservation for anytime that week when we asked on our first day. Why even say you have 4 a la carte restaurants when you aren't going to let people into one. The problem with this was that the place was almost empty every night. I managed to get us in without a reservation, but I shouldn't have to sweet talk someone to get into a place I paid to get into when I booked the hotel.

5. Room service was non-existent after 2am. All room service came from the burger bar where there was a ridiculous shit show of chaos and disorganization by the staff. The room service calls were ringing and they were literally picking up the receiver and hanging it up without saying a word.

Other than those 5 things this hotel was great. I would stay here again because I can deal with lousy service. But a true 5 star hotel has good and consistent service and this hotel did not. The hotel itself is massive and everything is beautifully done, but they seemed to be relying on the physical building and area for the star rating and completely ignored service and that is not right. Don't go here expecting 5 star treatment because I have had better treatment in 3 star hotels.
jess_lame44 jess_lam…
Has everything you want or need Apr 26, 2011
This resort was an amazing place. It had everything you could ask for and more. Two swim up bars, six restaurants, and a shopping center. It also has a disco as well. The service there is great and everyone is so friendly. I loved my trip to Jamaica i would definately go back.

Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Runaway Bay Overview

The spectacular Gran Baha Prncipe Jamaica hotel is located on the beachfront in Runaway Bay, a privileged spot on the north coast of Jamaica. This area is a mixture of mountains, lush flora, white sandy beaches and dramatic cliffs. The Montego Bay international airport is 50 minutes away. Less than 30 minutes away is the town of Ocho Ros, known for its beautiful beaches and a good place for shopping.

There are 834 spacious Victorian-style rooms of three varieties: Junior Suite Superior, Junior Suite Sea View and Club Golden. The Junior Suite Superior rooms (43 m2) are fully-equipped with either two full-size beds or one king-size bed, both with canopy. Their fully-fitted bathroom has a hydromassage tub and separate shower, magnifying mirror, hair dryer, amenities and telephone. The rooms also have air conditioning and ceiling fan, satellite TV, direct-dial telephone (external calls with charge), alarm clock, iron and ironing board, mini-bar, sitting room with sofa bed, safe (with charge) and balcony or terrace. The Junior Suite Superior Sea View rooms have the same set-up as the Junior Suites, but with incredible sea views. The Club Golden rooms have all the comforts of a Junior Suite Superior but their guests get a private reception with welcome cocktail, a special bracelet to identify them, 24-hour room service, private telephone helpline, evening turn-down service, coffee maker, towels for the beach and pool (the day of arrival), bathrobe and slippers, safe, Internet and international press in the Club House.

The main restaurant is a buffet of international cuisine serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. It also has four a-la-carte restaurants with Japanese, Italian, gourmet and grilled meat cuisine. All reservations include three dinners per week (four for Club Golden rooms) in the speciality restaurants, reservation required. The gastronomic selection is completed with the delights of fast food in the snack bar. The bars are located throughout the hotel: one in the lobby with live music at night, another in the pool, a wet-bar in the water, another on the beach and yet another in the amphitheater. And, in the shopping and recreation center Pueblo Prncipe you'll find several more bars, such as the Sports Bar, the piano bar and the discotheque.

The hotel has a varied entertainment program for adults and children, both day and night. There are activities like aquagym, water polo or pool volleyball as well as other recreational activities such as bingo, dance classes and darts. Guests can dance to live music and enjoy the numerous shows. In Pueblo Prncipe you can take a walk and buy some souvenirs in the shops selling local crafts.

Sports:The fantastic 800m fine sand beach is a great place to do water sports like snorkelling, kayaking, catamarans and windsurfing (one hour free per day). Motorized water sports can be done for a charge. If you prefer traditional sports, the hotel has a gym and facilities to play soccer, tennis and volleyball. The 18-hole Breezes Runaway golf course is only 5 minutes from the hotel.

Children: Little ones will have a great time at their mini-club (from 4 to 12 years) with activities organized especially for them by the entertainment team. And they have the Mini Disco at night. Baby-sitting service is available (with charge and upon request).

Also available are 24-hour medical service and pharmacy (both with charge), specialized wedding, incentive and event planning service, and anniversary celebrations. Wi-fi in the lobby (with charge). Nudist reserve on the beach.

Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Steam Room
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes