Grama Butterwicks family restaurant

Grama Butterwicks family restaurant - empty parking lot

Grama Butterwicks family restaurant Grand Forks Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
mom and pop diner with salty food Feb 16, 2009
Mom and pop restuarants generally have low prices, good food and serve breakfast all day. I stopped here for lunch for all three of those reasons. I decided to order a lunch item because I thought I'd have a better chance of seeing how good the food was. Almost all restuarants can make scrambled eggs, bacon and toast which was what I wanted to get.

When I pulled up the parking lot had only one car - not a sign of a good restaurant according to my aunt. But I was ahead of the lunch rush and the parking lot is always packed when I drive by in the morning. The long restaurant has two rows of booths along the front wall which is almost all windows. The second row is elevated on a step, maybe so you can see out the window over people's heads? There is a small counter with 4 or 5 swivel seats and a back room with more booths and tables. True to diner style, it is seat yourself.

The waitress was friendly and very attentive. I ordered the chicken wild rice soup and turkey melt. The soup was very similar to my Grandma's, only this one was so hot I burned my tongue and extremely salty. I went through about 3 glasses of coke and water, which the waitress filled before they were emptied (I like that in a server). The turkey melt was also very salty, but also really good. It was grilled and had two types of cheese, tomatoes, bacon and BBQ sauce. It was all reasonably priced.

The woman at the table next to me ordered liver and onions - I thought that was just on the menu to gross people out ;) So the restaurant does have more "home cooked" type meals such as country fried steak and ham steak, as well as lots of sandwiches and breakfast served all day. And don't forget the pie.
chicken and wild rice soup
turkey melt