GraceLand : Elvis' House

Memphis, Tennessee

GraceLand : Elvis' House Memphis Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
I became an Elvis fan after this Nov 23, 2012
Visiting Graceland is a must if you are in Memphis. And if you are a fan it's a double must. The visit is interesting not only for music lovers, but to be a witness of the life and death of the most iconic and influential rock n' roll artist ever: Elvis Presley.

So in the morning we went to the small tourist office by the Riverwalk to obtain information about how to get there. We were greeted by the most enthusiastic tourist helper ever, this lady gave us a lot of information not only on Graceland but on Memphis in general and about other towns in the area (maybe we were gracious to her since we are foreigners).

Anyway, once we found Graceland we noticed it was a bit difficult to park, and we were not going to spend on the official parking lot space, so we decided to park in a residential area about 10 minute walk from there.

The tickets for the Graceland experience are quite expensive, especially if you want to do the full tour including the car collection, the planes and other small museums. But we thought that we were already there, so it was worth it. But this place is super touristy, you can spend over 100 dollars per person in a minute if you are not careful.

So we took the guided tour into the house, and saw most of the rooms, except the bedroom, which they keep closed for privacy reasons. I thought the house was fantastic, and we were told that all or most of the furniture is the original furniture of when Elvis was there! How cool is that??

We also went to see all his gold records, movie posters, his army uniform, and Priscilla's wedding dress. Of course the last stop was his tomb (assuming he is indeed dead ;) which was a very emotive and inspiring way to be. Who can be like the King of Rock n' Roll!

After that, we went for lunch at the cafeteria and then we went to the automobile museum and to see an exhibition of his most flamboyant clothes.

Also, of course we went inside the Lisa Marie plane to observe the luxury in which Elvis and his crew made their flights.

Overall, Graceland was a really cool experience that is nice to do just once. I saw it and I wouldn't come back, but it was worth the money. I even became a little interested in his music since then, to which I hadn't paid a lot of attention before! "I'm caught in a trap... I can't get out... because I love you too much baby ;)"
With Elvis at the tourist info off…
This place is soooooooooo cozy :)
Elvis's tomb
montecarlostar says:
If your bf is a fan, they y'all should definitively go for it! I am not the biggest Elvis fan and I enjoyed it a lot. Much be so much more worth it for a real fan. Besides Memphis is a cool city! :)
Posted on: Apr 06, 2015
Ella01 says:
my bf wants to do this for his 50th . All the way from Scotland! not sure I can afford my flights though :D Great insight btw. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: Apr 02, 2015
montecarlostar says:
I know, the man was the biggest icon, it was a great chance for me to know a little more about him. You are rightm the prices are just ridiculous and I didn't even want to ask how much one of his outfits would cost ;)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2013
traveling_turtle travelin…
Fun Tour May 27, 2012
If you love Elvis, you will LOVE touring Graceland. Even if you're not an Elvis fan I recommend seeing the place. There are different tours ranging in price and all kinds of shopping. I took the cheapest tour as I was not an Elvis fan. However, after seeing his house and quirky style, Graceland turned me into a fan. It's a fun tour that you can take at your own pace, which I really liked. You can focus on the things you want to know about and skip whatever you choose to. You can spend all day touring or stay only an hour. It was fun, good food, and great shopping!
rcohoon rcohoon
Worth a look May 23, 2011
If you are an Elvis fan or just want to know more about the King, there is no better place to do it than where he worked and played. I visited the Graceland complex...and I say complex because the Elvis experience includes not only the mansion but also an entire strip-mall of museums and shops across from it...this March on a visit to Memphis.

The tour of the mansion is worth a look, but don't expect to be dazzled by glitz and modern luxury. The home is still in the same shape Elvis left it, which means tons of gaudy 1970's colors and furniture including the famous Jungle Room, which Elvis had added to the mansion. The kitchen itself is smaller than my kitchen, and I live in a duplex appartment.

A stroll of the grounds behind the mansion will lead you to numerous out-buildings featuring different aspects of Elvis' life and career. The final stop on the mansion grounds is a visit to Elvis' graves and the graves of his parents.

If you find yourself in Memphis, this is definitely worth a morning or afternoon.
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
A Memphis Must-do Nov 22, 2009
Even though I'm not an avid Elvis fan (I do enjoy his music, though), I felt it was an absolute must to visit Graceland when I was in Memphis. And I am so glad I did. I have a new appreciation for the King of Rock and Roll. Much to my surprise, the mansion itself wasn't as grandiose as I thought it would be. Now, don't get me wrong, it is an extravgantly decorated home that has been frozen in time. It's like stepping back into the hey-day of the 1970s. I just expected a home of gargantuan proportions.

My friend Judy and I bought our tour tickets, just for the home-tour, and joined the next bus to the mansion. The headset tour provided interesting information of Elvis' background, music and life. My favorite room was the Jungle Room, complete with custom-made waterfall and Lisa Marie's favorite stuffed animal. Rooms and rooms of gold records are on display, as well as plenty of Elvis memorabilia, such as the famous jeweled leisure suits. What caught my eye was the display honoring Elvis' military career.

The tour ends by walking by Elvis' final resting place. Also buried there are Elvis' parents and granmother (who outlived them all), and a memorial to his twin brother. It was amazing to see how many fans still honor his memory with flowers and gifts. There was one lady who I believe is still in mourning; she was visibly upset.

Visiting Graceland is something I believe everyone should do. Elvis is such an icon, that this is something everyone can relate to in one way or another. Judy didn't even like Elvis; she actually was repulsed by him, but during our visit, she bought three CDs!
mwtlgray mwtlgray
Graceland Feb 27, 2008
I enjoyed it very much. I have been an Elvis fan since I was a little girl though, so it was very interesting to visit his home. Seeing where he played right before he died and then the memorial site was very moving. Its a beautiful home and worth seeing if you are an Elvis fan. They also have other tours you can go on, like all his cars, airplanes, some extra personal items from his wedding and Lisa Maries birth. But they all cost extra. I didnt really enjoy anything other than the house. You can bring your camera, however you can not use your flash, so unless you Know how to set the adjustments on your camera most the pictures inside will turn out to dark. You will park across the street, but your tickits, they offer discounts to students and senior citizens, then you wait in line to ride a bus to the house. YOu are given a aduio tour set, so you dont have to stay with the same group during your tour and can take your time going from room to room.

Related Travel Blogs About GraceLand : Elvis' House

Memphis Final Opinion
Just spent a few hours over at Graceland here in Memphis.  I was originally skeptical about going and seeing Elvis's house and airplanes and all the other decor/memorabilia.  But I am ultim…Graceland here in Memphis.  I was originally skeptical about going and seeing Elvis's house and airplanes and all the other…

Check Memphis Hotel Deals