Government House

  based on 1 review   write a review

LÆKJARGÖTU 101 REYKJAVÍK, Reykjavik, Iceland

Government House Reykjavik Reviews

davejo davejo
270 reviews
Once a prison, later Government House Feb 03, 2017
Originally the house was built as a prison between 1765 and 1770 and has been known by different names before it became Government House. (Stjornarrad). Skuli Magnusson was the governor at the time and had a program to create employment for the agricultural community so he built wool factories, but could not find enough workers so he employed the inmates from the prison. In 1816 the prison closed and stood empty for 3 years until the new governor, Count Moltke from Denmark arrived and converted the building for his family and officials to reside in.

In 1904 the proclamation that granted Iceland home rule was announced on the steps of Government House and the Icelandic flag was raised there for the first time. Since then the house has been used by the Prime Minister for his offices.
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Reykjavik Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Reykjavik
photo by: MadeleineGL