Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta

Gothenburg, Sweden
Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta - Early, early morning.The Oilbarons are sleeping
Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta - Will this hold? Who is the heaviest? OK!! Lets clean and polish!
Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta - Our J120 named Cupido
Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta - Gothenburg just before the start of the Race
Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta - Great speed,captain!Ending at fourth place

Gothenburg Offshore Race 2004 - My first regatta Reviews

B-Jorn B-Jorn
Aug 09, 2007
I lived in the Mountains of Switzerland.So one winter I met another Norwegian that invited me to join his boat, and to sail with his crew for the summer. I had never sailed before, so why not???

August 13. was the time for The Gothenburg Offshorerace 2004.

The same day, before start, we had the boat on land for cleaning and polishing. So now we where ready for the race.

I did have no idea how many boats ther could be in the race but it was regattaboats everywhere. People where shouting and screaming, and I could not understand how the boats could sail in between each other in that speed without crashing before the start.

We went off!!! Perfect wind, sunshine and good speed.

For the next 24 hours we should sail from Gothenburg in Sweden up to Skagen at the top of Denmark, half way down Denmark pasing Grenaa, and back up along Sweden almost the hole way up to Norway.

My friend, the captain where shouting that "We are going to winn this race,no brakes, nothing, work, work, work".

We came up to the northern point of Denmark and the sunset to the east was a great view.

It was starting to get more and more windy, and I was already getting cold and wet when the total darknes came over us.

The waves where holding just 16 degrees Celsius (64F?) and running all over the boat.

I was freezing.

By the midle of the night I have had no food or drinks.

I was hanging outside in a rope almost asleep while the waves still was rolling all over me.

I thought I was going to die.

My mouth was clapping together so fast that the Dolphins would have understood it was their own language.

We had Sweden in the west when the sun was ricing.

"We are almost there" the captain shouted.

Can you imagine how much I appreciated the sunrice?

The heat from the sun was slowley melting my boddy down.

There where only two boats in to the harbour before us.

We arived 6 hours earlier than expected so even the people that worked with the race wasn't there to time us in.

A new record, someone shouted.

I went to bed, looking forward to the BIG, BIG celebrationparty.

Is sailing fun?

I would go again!!!

I'l join Your crew!!!

Just take me with you!!!

:-)
Early, early morning.The Oilbarons…
Our J120 named Cupido
Will this hold? Who is the heavies…
Gothenburg just before the start o…

Check Gothenburg Hotel Deals